• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plate racks with reset lever (update) below

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Ok guys..... apparently I have a **** Ton of time on my hands like 99.9% of the nation... I’d like to build a Plate racks with reset lever and am wondering if any of you have done this and are willing to share photos and pass along any thoughts, I.e. how you did it and what you would do different if you did the project over. ...

Not interested in professionally built plate racks. I can find them all day long.

I’m looking to add to my range however this is a project I’d like to occupy some of my time as I have a **** ton of it...

I understand you get what you pay for.... so with that said, let’s see them....

(Update 6 April 2020)
So I’m looking around my rage that I already have... there are some odds and end aluminum fence upright and horizontal bars.... I’m thinking of using these for the legs. I’ll use the horizontal bar the handle attaches to with the pull cord as a longer piece of fence bar with rebar reinforcing it due to 8 8”- 10” plates.

I’ll use 2x4 for the rear fall stop when the plates drop and a 2x4 in the Fron to protect the horizontal bar the thats sit on. ...

So far I have 99% of the materials needed .....

7 April 2020 (Update)
Im now looking into 8, 8" plates with hangers (will hang their own plate) that slide onto a 2x4 with 2 end caps the support the 2x4 rack as well as 2 legs per side.

(Update 8 April 2020)
I think I’m just going to buy a MGM Plate Rack in a Bucket...

After costing items needed out it would be very close to this. I was 20.00 difference when I couldn’t make the scrap I have work.

I'm getting antsy and want to shoot. I have targets and plenty however I not am running out of patience...

The types of rounds used on these targets would be from .380-44 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s my attempt at a plate rack I used two screen door springs to help with the reset of the lift bar

Attachments

• 7BC69407-D1FD-4BDD-BF6D-32D149EC069D.jpeg
    7BC69407-D1FD-4BDD-BF6D-32D149EC069D.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 117
This thread got me to thinking about what I could tinker together in the shop. Of course the obligatory googling followed..with a little trial and error, and a trip to the hardware store for springs, maybe something like this would fit the bill?
https://www.challengetargets.com/product/ARP-80026-H-3PK.html

Good morning. These targets are nice. I actually have a couple like them.... I have also looked into these for the plate rack I'm looking to put together. The issue I have found is these return to the upright position after being shot.

I'm Looking to shoot them and have each on stay in the down position as they are shot then return to the position after using the reset lever. Id like to do something more like this (https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/)but not spend 400+ dollars..... Im a cheap mofo... HA

Good morning. These targets are nice. I actually have a couple like them.... I have also looked into these for the plate rack I'm looking to put together. The issue I have found is these return to the upright position after being shot.

I'm Looking to shoot them and have each on stay in the down position as they are shot then return to the position after using the reset lever. Id like to do something more like this (https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/)but not spend 400+ dollars..... Im a cheap mofo... HA
Those are nice. I have built several hanging plates here in my shop for use with pistol calibers. I think I have everything needed for that setup already on hand, and my kids and grandson love shooting steel. If I get one put together, I'll post up some pics. Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

Those are nice. I have built several hanging plates here in my shop for use with pistol calibers. I think I have everything needed for that setup already on hand, and my kids and grandson love shooting steel. If I get one put together, I'll post up some pics. Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

I've updated this thread up top. Now I am rethinking what I want o do for simplicity sake and ease of set up and take down as well as storage.... I'm jealous you have a shop that your able to make these things. I almost bought components for a dueling tree project.

Back
Top Bottom