• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Planting Potatoes

MMatt30

Default rank <5000 posts
Hey.....pull my finger.
24   0
Reaction score
So I got a guerrilla garden going on in my small backyard....I have to worry about an HOA so I can't go all crazy. Anyway I'm growing my veggies either with a hydroponic Tower Garden or in containers. I have planted some potatoes already in some containers and they are blooming. I used Miracle Grow for my soil.

My main question is.......can I plant the rest of my seed potatoes in containers just using some regular soil that I dig up? That would help stretch my dollar some when it comes to potting soil. I kind of thought potatoes would grow in pretty much any soil. Help me survival garden gurus.

So I got a guerrilla garden going on in my small backyard....I have to worry about an HOA so I can't go all crazy. Anyway I'm growing my veggies either with a hydroponic Tower Garden or in containers. I have planted some potatoes already in some containers and they are blooming. I used Miracle Grow for my soil.

My main question is.......can I plant the rest of my seed potatoes in containers just using some regular soil that I dig up? That would help stretch my dollar some when it comes to potting soil. I kind of thought potatoes would grow in pretty much any soil. Help me survival garden gurus.

“Veggies In Hydroponic” Wink wink.......!

The problem with using dirt in containers is it has usually has a high clay content and compacts and holds water so the roots rot. I use a blend of Jungle Growth, Black Kow manure and Black Velvet Mushroom compost in my containers and a till Jungle Growth into the ground for my sweet and red potatoes.

Not trying to dissuade you but when it comes to limited real estate, I'd plant the highest dollar stuff and leave the cheap stuff for store runs. Taters are the definition of cheap. Have you noticed what a colored bell pepper costs?

Why they have to be colored? ;)

But yeah - they charge an arm and a leg and no discount for the soft, squishy almost rotted ones at Kroger.

“Veggies In Hydroponic” Wink wink.......!

LOL, I wish.

Not trying to dissuade you but when it comes to limited real estate, I'd plant the highest dollar stuff and leave the cheap stuff for store runs. Taters are the definition of cheap. Have you noticed what a colored bell pepper costs?

Already got peppers growing. Taters are much more sustaining of a food source though than peppers.

The problem with using dirt in containers is it has usually has a high clay content and compacts and holds water so the roots rot. I use a blend of Jungle Growth, Black Kow manure and Black Velvet Mushroom compost in my containers and a till Jungle Growth into the ground for my sweet and red potatoes.

Thanks. I was worried that might be the case with good ole' Georgia Piedmont soil.

Try to find some sandy soil instead of clay based for your containers or add sand and organics to break up the clay, it works.
Start them low in a container and then add dirt, it increases the yield
Vining plants in containers would probably work well too, roots in one place and leaves in another

Back
Top Bottom