• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plans for Next Deer Season

I'm going to quarter and pack out. My experience with deer in my steep walled valley have convinced me it's the only practical way for one person to do it.

Smaller than quarters if needs be.
OK you were told.I have a friend who is 74 and Bear hunts every year in N Ga and he has used a sled for years.

I want to plant three food plots this year. I also want to utilize the feeders I picked up this year better as well. I need to pickup up another two man deer stand to put up behind the house.

OK you were told.I have a friend who is 74 and Bear hunts every year in N Ga and he has used a sled for years.
Oh, I've got and have used a sled. They're great going down hill, on level ground or even slightly up hill, but if you have to go up a steep incline they can actually work against you because they are so slick. They are constantly trying to slip back down the hill and you can't really rest. Plus, I'm simply not strong enough to drag 300lbs of bear up a steep hill, even with a sled.

If I kill one and there are no steep up hills between me and the truck I'll use the sled, but that situation isn't very likely if I'm hunting deep.

BTW, does your friend have any pointers for a noob bear hunter?

I'm going to quarter and pack out. My experience with deer in my steep walled valley have convinced me it's the only practical way for one person to do it.

Smaller than quarters if needs be.

Take the extra time to debone the quarters. It makes a huuuuuge difference and saves a lot of room in/on your pack.

I have been hunting over pasture and caught a couple bucks cruising through the last few seasons. They're hauling butt to get to a section of woods. I'm thinking this fall I'm going to set up in those woods in the afternoon and just see what I see. Pretty sure there's a harem of does back in there.

One of my rifles I'm setting up in a Euro driven hunt style. I'll probably try that for the woods. It's a bit thick in there, don't need magnification.

Cutting trails and shooting lanes today.
C975FB76-C3CF-46D3-897A-381C0CE0D176.jpeg
8D20E7E2-1149-4CDB-A99E-D77657EF4608.jpeg

I have been hunting over pasture and caught a couple bucks cruising through the last few seasons. They're hauling butt to get to a section of woods. I'm thinking this fall I'm going to set up in those woods in the afternoon and just see what I see. Pretty sure there's a harem of does back in there.

One of my rifles I'm setting up in a Euro driven hunt style. I'll probably try that for the woods. It's a bit thick in there, don't need magnification.
Perhaps some food for thought. Magnification makes it a lot easier to pick out the holes in the brush. I've killed many a deer by shooting through small opening that I would not have been able to see without a scope.

Perhaps some food for thought. Magnification makes it a lot easier to pick out the holes in the brush. I've killed many a deer by shooting through small opening that I would not have been able to see without a scope.

I'm going to set up on a hundred year old, slightly overgrown logging trail, probably 50ish yards max if I can catch one crossing over. Going to try an Aimpoint.

Back
Top Bottom