• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Piston or Impingement? School me on it, nerds.

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Fornicate around and findeth out.
439   1
Reaction score
Tell me what the differences are in your experience.
Explain what is better over time
What brands/models are gas piston?
Can I easily identify an impingement over piston setup from a picture?

And anything else you want to add.

I'm using a CMMG .22lr conversion BCG in an AR556. Apparently the kit says you should use it with a gas piston setup, probably for cycling purposes but I haven't had any feed issues.

I'll let others more knowledgeable than I speak on the DI vs piston, but I have been told running 22lr in a conversion kit like that can gum up your gas tube. A friend has one and he always runs a few rounds of 223/556 after using the conversion to blow some of it out.

I'll let others more knowledgeable than I speak on the DI vs piston, but I have been told running 22lr in a conversion kit like that can gum up your gas tube. A friend has one and he always runs a few rounds of 223/556 after using the conversion to blow some of it out.

\
22lr is much dirtier than centerfire, I used to run a conversion on a cheap impinged AR, I always run a few big boy rounds after every other session.

I now run a M&P 15-22 for my AR LR needs and no longer use the kit.

Oh yeah, 22 is way nastier than centerfire. I'm definitely learning that now after having my 22 can for almost two months now.

Ultrasonic cleaner is your friend! Realized one of my cans did not sound like a can anymore, opened it up, looked like a coal mine...... realized it had not been run thru the bath in forever.....

Ultrasonic cleaner is your friend! Realized one of my cans did not sound like a can anymore, opened it up, looked like a coal mine...... realized it had not been run thru the bath in forever.....
Make sure to put the disclaimer,

DO NOT PUT ALUMINUM IN AN ULTRASONIC CLEANER

Back
Top Bottom