• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistols Cal .40 - Why They Are So Hated?

I think for it's intended purpose at the time it was a perfectly fine round. Most folks don't take context into consideration when it comes to stuff like this. We all know the history of 40 so I won't go there. Back in its day, yes, the 40 was big dick on deck. However, that was 20 something years ago.

I can say I personally don't like 40 because it's ****ing stupid. You've got a higher pressure round that causes increased parts wear, reduced capacity, increased recoil and increased cost per round. The justification behind this round just isn't viable for anyone serious about self defense based shooting. If you carry this round unironically, you're mentally ill. Just like people that carry 45, you're a joke. You're willingly putting yourself at a disadvantage in nearly every aspect to, more than likely, establish your masculinity. Multiple agencies and independent sources have proven time and time again that modern 9mm JHPs out perform the best 40S&W rounds. If we're talking ball rounds, sure, bigger hole means more gooder. That also means you're retarded for carrying ball rounds in your gun.

In conclusion, people insistent on carrying 40 are like their caliber, short and weak. There's no reason to do it other than to reinforce your insecurities. There's a reason no one wants to carry it or shoot the damn thing anymore. Get mad.

Of course none of this **** matters because its a pistol caliber round and they're all the same at the end of the day.

tenor.gif

I was always a revolver guy. Figured that anything that needed doing could get done with a .357.

My only big bore semi was a Star PD .45 which I shot a ton, and shot in competition against some high dollar 1911's and did well. Proved to my satisfaction that it wasn't the hardware producing the results. Still shooting it, still going strong.

Back then 9mm wasn't even serious consideration. All the gun mags were full of articles on how to make major caliber out of the box, or there were a lot of wildcats 9s trying the same thing.

Haven't kept up with competition shooting so don't know if they changed the rules to make 9 a "major" caliber is 9 major now?

So reading the several pages of comments above, we come to this conclusion:

1. The 9mm is in no way the ballistic equivalent to the .40. It takes special +P loads to exceed the energy level 0r the 150 year old .38 Spec. Note the several comments on how it comes "close", This leads us to point 2,

2. The 9mm is less expensive to shoot. Granted. The shear bulk of 9mm produced and the production capacity makes range load ammo for the 9 cheaper. But going back to point 1, when you start shooting max load, premium bullets loads the price difference is inconsequential. Again, like the ballistics's claims no one is throwing any numbers out there. So if you are going to shoot mostly blasting range ammo, the few dollars you save may be significant. A cent a round for a large government agency is significant; it's a personal decision on whether you want to base your personal safety on how cheap the ammo is.

3. The 9 has greater capacity. Granted. Other that stating "mo' bullets, mo' bullets" no one has really stated why this fact would make you "hate" the .40, you must really hate the .45ACP

4. Operator issues. The influx of woman, latinos, asians, millennial into LEO and the military has vastly increased the number of people sensitive to loud noises and sudden surprises. It's the times we live in. Unless you are a woman, latino, asian, or a millennial, don't see how this could lead you to "hating" the .40.

I have purchased several .40 over the last couple of years. About a 50% discount to the same gun in 9mm. I figure the several hundred dollars savings buys me a lot of that high dollar ammo and I can fill out some niches in my gun collection.

In conclusion, no one above has states a "reason" to hate the .40, it's all subjective opinion, along the lines of why they hate creamed spinach.
WTH Happened at #4?
I got lost... Whatttttttt? Are you on pain killer or something else? lol

I think for it's intended purpose at the time it was a perfectly fine round. Most folks don't take context into consideration when it comes to stuff like this. We all know the history of 40 so I won't go there. Back in its day, yes, the 40 was big dick on deck. However, that was 20 something years ago.

I can say I personally don't like 40 because it's ****ing stupid. You've got a higher pressure round that causes increased parts wear, reduced capacity, increased recoil and increased cost per round. The justification behind this round just isn't viable for anyone serious about self defense based shooting. If you carry this round unironically, you're mentally ill. Just like people that carry 45, you're a joke. You're willingly putting yourself at a disadvantage in nearly every aspect to, more than likely, establish your masculinity. Multiple agencies and independent sources have proven time and time again that modern 9mm JHPs out perform the best 40S&W rounds. If we're talking ball rounds, sure, bigger hole means more gooder. That also means you're retarded for carrying ball rounds in your gun.

In conclusion, people insistent on carrying 40 are like their caliber, short and weak. There's no reason to do it other than to reinforce your insecurities. There's a reason no one wants to carry it or shoot the damn thing anymore. Get mad.

Of course none of this **** matters because its a pistol caliber round and they're all the same at the end of the day.
giphy (21).gif

Guessing the hardcore .40 fans shoot less than 1000 rounds a year, and never with a timer. If the advantages of 9mm, even in +P loadings, isn’t readily apparent.. Probably need to work on shooting faster.
Also, the cheap gun savings is lost after the first case of ammo.

Seems we have two groups here.

1) Collectors, people working on 1990’s Guns&Ammo wisdom, gun fondlers

2) People who practice. Women, Asians, and Latinos.

Diametrically opposed.

Disclaimer: I occasionally carry .45 GAP, but it’s definitely an ironic choice. Goes well with my thick rimmed glasses if I’m feeling hipster.

Back
Top Bottom