• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol sights....3 dot or “I” dot which and why?

Why bother. When your adrenaline is pumping you won't be able to see your sights regardless. @fastfish66 has it right point shooting is your friend.

Your AAR will read "I don't know what happened............I just drew and started shooting until the threat was down."

My buddy @captdave77 told me a story of a friend who came over a hill in a firefight and ran into a Haj with a AK. The buddy raised his M249 and closed his eyes and burnt off his whole load. When he opened his eyes he saw the Haji was dead and later found out he killed one of the deck of 52 in the playing cards we had.

Not always true. Jim Cirillo was the winner of 17 gunfights. In some of the fights, he never remembers seeing the sights. In others, he said that he could have counted the serrations on his front sight blade.

Not always true. Jim Cirillo was the winner of 17 gunfights. In some of the fights, he never remembers seeing the sights. In others, he said that he could have counted the serrations on his front sight blade.
I have found that I got better over time and things seem to move at a slower pace nowadays. Almost slow motion in a firefight. But I remember my first firefight. I remember for a few seconds I couldn't find the safety on my SAW and my adrenaline was pumping so hard I swear my eyes and vision were beating with my heart. I saw my front sight then but it was a blur the only thing that wasn't a blur was the guy with the AK shooting at me.

After more than my share of engagements everything became clear and seemed to go in slow motion.

Thing is most of these guys may never have their first engagement much less engagement number 10 or more. They just gotta remember the basics and try to stay alive.

My preferred setup is a serrated black rear and a tritium front.

If I’m using a light, I can see the outline of my sights and don’t need tritium on the front and rear to line up.

If I’m not using my light, and I can ID the threat, that means that either:
A. There is enough ambient light to see the outline of my sights, and therefore I don’t need to line up tritium front and rear
B. I’m so close that I’m going to “point shoot” and I don’t need a rear sight at all

Exactly my preference. Since swapping to a red dot I prefer blacked out front and rears. I don’t like all of the colors in the optic window. Too much for the eye to catch when using a dot.

Back
Top Bottom