• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pin and Weld Cost

oldalabamaroad

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
Man, these prices seem to be all over the place from $25-$110.
What should I pay to have a pre drilled brake clocked, pinned, and welded?
Barrel is already dimpled and threaded.
Any recommended smiths also?

Based on time spent?
Yeah, there's always a mill and a welder involved so its worth that for setup. Sometimes you get something special that wants to be a pain. Even if the brake is drilled, the barrel isn't. I used to make pins for every one too but finally just bought a big bag of 1/8 retention pins. Clock, drill(mill), clean, weld, (Sometimes grind to make smooth, Sometimes), clean again, then refinish. Sometimes cold blue works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the weld is perfect, sometimes brakes puddle because they're cheap and you have to fix that. Sometimes brakes are titanium. Could be mild steel on stainless on titanium. There's more that can go wrong than you think. Of course I learnt all this the same way.
Like I said, Sometimes I make money at $75 and sometimes I lose money at $75 but its been $75 forever.

My experience is similar to Nonliberal. I used to have a tier system depending on how much work needed to be done. I only ever lost out doing that so I switched to just a flat fee of 100 and next day pick up. I will quote more than 100 from time to time depending on the situation. Such as carbon barrels, fixing messed up threads ECT ect. But that's only every few months. I'd say I make money more often than lose on them but I've considered not doing them at all a few times. Mostly because it seems when there is an issue it take 3-4x the amount of time it should have.

Back
Top Bottom