• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pickled onions anyone?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
225   0
Reaction score
I wished I'd bothered to look up how to do this earlier.

Last year I had tacos from a roadside stand (literally) in Bluffton, SC and they were about the best I'd ever eaten. taco de cabeza, taco de lengua, served with cilantro and pickled red onion. I really liked the onion. I'm always disappointed when I go to a taco joint and they don't have pickled onion (cebolla en vinagre). It's almost on the level of disappointment I feel when I go the bar and find out the Philistine bartender doesn't serve bleu cheese stuffed olives in a dirty martini.

Anyway, I happened to see a short video on making your own onions and thought I'd try it. It's really easy, bring 3 parts vinegar (white or apple cider) and 1 part water to a simmer with a couple tablespoons of a sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.) a teaspoon of salt. I added a splash of smoked balsamic vinegar for extra flavor. You can use peppers, habanero, peppercorn, garlic, let your imagination run wild. Slice up your onion real thin (or thick if you like - takes longer to make) and pack them into a jar or other container. Pour the simmering solution over the onion and cap it. I let it cool on the counter before refrigeration. It's supposed to last about two weeks for freshness.

I didn't have an empty jar at hand but I did have a jar about empty of diced jalapenos so I poured off all but about two teaspoons of the liquid and reserved the two teaspoons of diced peppers remaining and added the onion on top of that. Shaked it a little then put it in the frig.

I just ate some on scrambled eggs and they were delicious! Just the right amount of heat!
20220107_073502.jpg

Hell yeah. I've started using smoked salt instead of boring ass white salt. (You prob get the same results with the smoked balsamic.)
Agree. Boring white salt sucks. There's a spice shop on the Marietta Square and we have 5 or 6 different salts: Portuguese sea salt, Cypress flake, Himalayan, Maldon, Fleur de Sel. They all taste different and go better with different foods. Not terribly expensive by the ounce.

Back
Top Bottom