• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Personal Review/Story of Protective Measures Basic Pistol Course

Bullfrog81

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
A little about me. I am an avid shooter from pistol to rifles to shotguns. I feel I am well ahead of the curve of firearms handling and accuracy. I shoot competitions with all firearms like 3 gun to sporting clays and skeet. On a personal defense side. I have always from childhood payed close attention to my surroundings and who or what was around. So I feel that my situational awareness is pretty strong. My wife and I had a situation we go into and we got into an argument over how it turned out. So I started seeking training.

A little about my wife. She was raised in a home with no guns and guns are a bad thing. She decided to marry a country boy so I have been on her about guns since we meet. When we first got together she would have a panic attack just touching a gun at a gun store. Over time she got more comfortable and we went to the range and my parents and shot a little. I bought her, her first pistol and she was reluctant to carry it without going to a class. With all this said this is how we came to this review.

I wanted to take a pistol/personal protection course with my wife to help us both learn more about all things carrying a firearm. I searched around and found Monte with Protective Measures on the good ole ODT. My wife and I attended the classroom portion first. Monte thoroughly went over all aspects of carrying a firearm. From laws to situational awareness and everything in between. My wife and I left the class with a lot of great information and it opened up discussion that my wife wouldn't have before attending this class.

Over the next few weeks me and Monte stayed in contact trying to setup a day to go to the range. Monte's communication is always spot on. With our busy life and child our time is very limited and Monte understood and work with us. We got our day scheduled and we were both looking forward to it. On our way to the range I could tell my wife was a little uneasy. She didn't want to talk about it she just wanted to get this going. We had a great time at the range and as the day went on I could tell she was getting a lot more comfortable. With Monte's training and knowledge it just helps everyone relax, enjoy, and learn. We shot with another couple of similar background with firearms. Monte made sure everyone was learning by their skill level and not leaving anyone behind and also not slowing anyone down. We all picked up some great things at this range session.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, on our ride home my wife started talking about when can we go to our next session. Early in the week I got on the horn with Monte and we got the Saturday coming setup for our last session. My wife and I talked about the range day coming up all week. My wife hung her target up from the week before and would walk by and say I'm going to do better this week. Saturday came and I could tell the wife was acting way more comfortable. We get to the range and my wife is excited to start shooting, no nervousness this week.

There was suppose to be 2 other couples on this session but they decided to not show up. Monte had every right to be upset cause he wasn't making hardly any money when only 2 shooters are there. But you could never tell. Monte is always in high spirits smiling, laughing and all around good attitude. We had a great day at the range again. Monte let my wife shoot his guns to try and find something she might like a little better then what she already has, which is great. Both me and wives targets improved greatly.

To wrap up this length story/review. Monte is a stand up guy with a great attitude. You can tell he loves what he is doing helping people and it leaks to everyone involved. The information given to us during this course is helpful beyond words. I personally went from a decent shooter to a good shooter in a few short sessions. My wife went from nervous to very proficient with a firearm. Both of our situational awareness has improved greatly and we understand the laws a lot better now. I can't thank Monte enough for the time he spent with us. My wife finally understands the importance of carrying a firearm.

Thanks

Jeremiah

Thank you very much for the review. It was a pleasure meeting & training w/ you, your wife, & the other shooters in the class.

Introducing new shooters, especially Ladies, safely into the world of shooting pistols and other defensive firearms has become one of our specialties over the years. If done properly they are able to replace their apprehension w/ confidence & competence just like your wife did.

It is always fun to watch them improve as they learn the basics and the "frown" gets replaced by the grin that says, " Ok... now I got it".

I appreciate the fact that yourself & quite a few others drive quite aways up here so I will continue to try the best I can to give you more than your moneys worth.

Thank you again hope to see you soon.

Last edited:
Having the classroom portion of this class Satur. morning in Dalton (exit #336) & have room for a few more if anyone would care to join us.

We have been having them throughout the week but we are usually on the range on Saturdays.
Between all of the "Ferguson" fallout/ unrest and people buying new guns for X-mas we have been slammed since Thanksgiving but are winding it up for the year.
We have just added a new Instructor & will be updating our website w/ some exciting new classes.

Back
Top Bottom