• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

People that pull out BOS during a trade....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeDefense

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
Banned Permanently
32   0
Reaction score
I had 3 trades where I was a seller twice, and a straight swap, when the other party pulled out two sheets of papers and started to write down details. Name and a address down, etc, then turn around and ask me for my info.... After I showed my GWL. No BOS was ever even mentioned in my ads or PM's. So why are they demanding one?

How would you handle this?

Exactly as you did or simply say that was not agreed upon previous and if you can't trust that I can't have a gun then I can't trust you with my personal info.

Tell them that it was not part of the agreement. If they will not trade without one, I would then pass. Assuming you communicated via PM's you should have plenty of proof against an inevitable neg...

Depends on how you feel about a BOS. I personally would tell them this was not discussed and not part of the deal. If they insist, I would pack my stuff up and head out.

I've been surprised a few times like this. No big deal in my opinion. I prefer not to do it only because I don't have to. Anyone with internet access can find out way more info than what you put on a simple bos.

i always clarify before the meet. i dont do them but i dont care if someone else wants one

so i dont mind filling one out but all i will give is a signature next to a name.

no address or phone number (although they probably already have the phone number)

If I wanted the gun, I would sign the BOS. What do you think someone is going to do with your name and address? Mail you a letter?

Now they have the address of someone who probably had more firearms in the house. Also, I don't know you and what's to say you lose it an it ends up with someone not so nice who now knows your name and address and that you probably have firearms. I'm sure a lot of people don't scrutinize and secure BOS's like retail stores do for 4473.

Y'all have made me do some thinking today... When I sell a firearm for cash I have asked to have a bill of sale signed. However, I wrote my bill of sale, and purposely left out address information. All I ask (for handguns) is to look and your GADL or GWCL to verify you are 21 and a GA resident. Beyond that the address is not important.

If I am trading a gun, I change the title of my document to "transfer of ownership" The serial number is recorded showing I no longer own the firearm.

If someone objected to signing the BOS/TOO as long as they let me see their ID I would have no issue selling with a handshake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom