• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Peak and Tune a CB radio

I'm putting a radio in a truck I'm going across country to for work in. I got the recommended parts from the old school truckers at work. Not sure yet on a handle. They call me koolaid at work so I'll probably just run with that.

Assuming your radio & antenna are in good condition & properly installed, all that is left to do is check the SWR. You can google it for the technical explanation but this is a reference to how well your antenna is “matched” to your Radio. You can buy a SWR meter at a truck stop for app. $20. The antenna “length” will need to be adjusted to achieve the lowest possible SWR ratio. 1:1 is ideal. If it’s a new rig chances are it’s ok as is. Your radio may also have a built in SWR meter. I would try it first and see how it transmits. If it has acceptable distance then I wouldn’t touch it. Also, never ever transmit without an antenna connected.......you may release the smoke.

Assuming your radio & antenna are in good condition & properly installed, all that is left to do is check the SWR. You can google it for the technical explanation but this is a reference to how well your antenna is “matched” to your Radio. You can buy a SWR meter at a truck stop for app. $20. The antenna “length” will need to be adjusted to achieve the lowest possible SWR ratio. 1:1 is ideal. If it’s a new rig chances are it’s ok as is. Your radio may also have a built in SWR meter. I would try it first and see how it transmits. If it has acceptable distance then I wouldn’t touch it. Also, never ever transmit without an antenna connected.......you may release the smoke.

The radio has built in swr adjustment and I was just reading over how to adjust it correctly. I got a firestik antenna so I can adjust it to match the radio. Seems strait forward.

Back
Top Bottom