• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pawn shop Arisaka

Also if anyone has some spare bolt parts laying around, I'd love to make it functional again.

I know 1 person but he's out of state for the Holidays, he picked up 3 of these Rifles at a Pawn Shop, 1 was excellent the other 2 he was keeping for parts. He gets back 7 Jan.

What is the mum?

So, this begs the question of who would gring-off the image of the chrysanthemum.
The ground or defaced chrysanthemum alteration was done by the Japanese themselves, at the time of the surrender, or sometimes by recently-surrendered Japanese troops working under Americans' supervision to do this to thousands of guns (already stripped of their bolts, and thus not readily useable as weapons) shortly after surrendered (such as racks of rifles that were in a base or armory at the time the Allies seized control of the area).
The REASON this Imperial seal was defaced when Arisakas were surrendered was
to preserve the honor of the Emperor. After all, the image meant the gun was HIS property, to be used per his will and only to serve the Empire of Japan. If the gun has fallen into enemy (American) hands, it's not serving the Emperor anymore, and thus leaving it intact would be a continuing insult to the honor of the Emperor.

(If you think this arrangement, allowing the Japs to take the time to do this to captured or soon-to-be captured rifles, is inconsistent with the USA's stated official position of "unconditional surrender" keep in mind that the surrender was actually negotiated, and the Japs bargained for, and got assurances, that their Emperor would not be harmed and would continue to hold his position and title postwar. And he did, serving as Emperor until his death in 1989, and leaving children and grandchildren who make up Japan's royal family even today.)

Arisaka rifles with the chrysanthemum still intact could be battlefield pick-ups, or simply rifles that were smuggled / shipped out of the country by GI's who didn't give the Japanese any time or opportunity to grind the mums off. Examples would be guns taken by Allied troops within a day or two of their capturing a Jap base or fort, before the men with the grinding tools could come and do their work on the piles of hundreds of rifles.

So Sarco has complete bolts for $125. Guess I'll be ordering one of those and swap the internals to my matching bolt body (this way I do not have to buy headspace gauges). Will update you guys when I get to test fire. Thanks for all the info, always good to learn something new. ODT rules!

It's only money. Get another bolt or (preferably) just the parts needed to finish your current bolt and rock on. Your bigger issue is going to be ammo. I've got 2 Type 99's myself. One is an earlier one from when the raping and pillaging was good. The other is a late-war model. The "last ditch" guns were transitional so you'll see parts getting simplified the further along the war went. I had originally picked up the early gun just because it was a nice example - but snagged the last ditch gun sitting on the shelf when I saw it. I think both rifles really complement each other and I'm not disappointed in what I paid - $550 for both rifles and 180rnds of original ammo.

49250087422_5971358310_b.jpg

40355331493_30443b9981_b.jpg

It's only money. Get another bolt or (preferably) just the parts needed to finish your current bolt and rock on. Your bigger issue is going to be ammo. I've got 2 Type 99's myself. One is an earlier one from when the raping and pillaging was good. The other is a late-war model. The "last ditch" guns were transitional so you'll see parts getting simplified the further along the war went. I had originally picked up the early gun just because it was a nice example - but snagged the last ditch gun sitting on the shelf when I saw it. I think both rifles really complement each other and I'm not disappointed in what I paid - $550 for both rifles and 180rnds of original ammo.

49250087422_5971358310_b.jpg

40355331493_30443b9981_b.jpg
Nice, did the stocks come looking that good or did you refinish them?

Back
Top Bottom