• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Patterned the turkey gun today

Adamjen15

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Using a stoeger m3500 with a hevi-shot turkey choke tube. I shot 3.5 inch number 5 long beards and they patterned terrible. I patterned some 3 inch number 5 long beards and they actually did really well. Patterned some 3 inch number 5 double xs and they patterned terrible. My best was 3.5 inch number 6 hevi-13s. Have y’all ever had any 3 inch shells pattern a lot better than 3.5s?

I haven’t my gun patterns 3.5 hevy 6’s better than 5s.
You need to shoot at 10-15 yards to realize how tight today’s chokes are.i found out the hard way a couple times with a swing and miss.

I haven’t my gun patterns 3.5 hevy 6’s better than 5s.
You need to shoot at 10-15 yards to realize how tight today’s chokes are.i found out the hard way a couple times with a swing and miss.
Yeah I think its just the choke, I don’t think it cared for the 3.5 number 5s. I think I’m gonna get a Carlson’s longbeard choke or just stick with the hevi-13s and have the 3 inch long beards for back up

It’s all trial and error finding out what works best. I was reading about a fella having varied results with different “lots” of Longbeard XR loads that were the same gauge, length and shot size. I believe they suspected the epoxy in the shell to have been the culprit.

It’s all trial and error finding out what works best. I was reading about a fella having varied results with different “lots” of Longbeard XR loads that were the same gauge, length and shot size. I believe they suspected the epoxy in the shell to have been the culprit.
Yeah I think i might have got a ****ty box. I shot 3 and all 3 patterned god awful.

Back
Top Bottom