• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paralyzed veteran looking for help finding an accessible bow hunting spot

UH60Driver

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
48   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a place that is somewhat accessible to a manual wheelchair and truck/jeep. I am a paralyzed from the chest down but very independent and active. About 10 years ago I bought a brand new Ten Point titan HLX crossbow with the intention of picking up bow hunting, my buddy got a job transfer and moved before the season started, then Life happened and I never got around to it and now that my twins are a little older, I don't feel guilty about leaving them at home with mom. Essentially I know nothing about deer hunting to speak of, other than what I heard friends talk about when I was a kid. Back then hunting season interrupted football, and in Texas, football was kind of a big deal, not that it isn't in GA, but I'm sure you get what I mean. Bottom line is I am anxious to learn all I can about deer hunting and the technical aspect of what I need to know to be a great hunter. I recently exchanged a couple of messages with a great guy "Comanche" who posted his thoughts on the " shwacker broad head ". So I like the idea of a mechanical, but need to know weights, lengths, knocks, what to expect while hunting, as far as how far to expect the deer to run after being hit, if a heart shot is preferred to a lu g shot. Basically any details you can provide to help me learn more about this sport. So please feel free to throw advice out here either on this thread or a private message. I look forward to getting your advice and hearing any jokes. I have very tough skin and laugh at myself, no reason why you shouldn't be able too also.

Best regards,

Forrest

Have you checked with GA DNR or U.S. Fish & Wildlife? They both will likely have a ADA liaison dedicated to your serving your abilities.
Great idea Don, that never occurred to me. I will check in to it tomorrow. Thank you for your suggestion, when I get an answer I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to know.

hey Forrest,
do you rifle hunt?

and do you have enough room for the deer meat at home?

if you had a pusher/helper; how limited is your acces to terrain, like ruts, logs, uneven/unlevel ground, and up & down hills?

what if the chair tipped over and your on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom