• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Panther Creek Gunleather vs. Blackhawk holsters

nicaburns

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
Empty Tomb Forge
245   0
Reaction score
Last year I got my hands on a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull. Quickly, I realized that this was a bit much for a hip holster, especially for travel out west including loaning it to my brother for an Alaska trip. That began my search for a reasonably priced Chest holster.
I first found Panther Creek Gunleather through their EBay store and found a glowing review on YouTube. So, I placed an order on 11/16/2014 which required that I pay $86.94 in full up front. A holster arrived the first weekend in December but it was for a much smaller gun as my barrel would not begin to fit. I sent an email and the owner, Mark, promptly called me and offered a replacement but asked that I keep the straps and await a replacment holster. So, I spent $6 and sent back the holster and waited. By January I was still waiting so I spent another $6 and returned the straps and asked for a refund. By February I posted negative comments of their service on a couple of forums and was contacted on 2/9/15 to say if I would remove the comments they would send a holster but would not offer a refund ... I removed my comments, including a thread here but now it is the end of March and nothing. No response to contacts, no holster, no refund.

My Blackhawk Alaskan Guide Holster came into play in January when I was tired of waiting. I spent about $58 on it from Optics Planet and it arrived in four days. It seems to be based on the design of Grizzlytuff holsters and is well made. It has cartridge loops and a pocket for a speed loader tho I do not anticipate speed loading 454 casull!:shocked: These carry VERY well and you forget they are there. I will be taking my Spec Ops version on a four day trip next month so will know better how it does on more than day hikes.

My only complaint is that the cylinder of the 454 snags a bit on the draw and I am working to find a way to fix that since I would not want that to happen in bear country. (I am sure a leather holster would prevent that but I have had no luck in getting Mark to fill my order at Panther Creek and could not bring myself to pre-pay another holster order with someone else right now.) I liked it well enough to purchase the Spec Ops version for my Glocks and it fits all of their mid-fullsize versions with an extra mag in tow.

All in all, the Blackhawks are great bang-for-the-buck and don't involve risk for being out $98.94 with a holster maker who won't refund my money or send me a holster. If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered the Blackhawk from the start OR paid the extra to get one of the better known leather models such as the Guides Choice or the Kenai from Www.gunfightersinc.com

Hope that helps if you find your self in the market for a chest holster!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Got an email from Panther Creek last night... More or less repeating the initial threat that unless I remove comments they will not fill the order... I fell for that once six weeks ago. This time I will take my chances and see if they will fill the order or issue a refund.
I don't believe I have said anything malicious, just observed that it does not seem possible to actually get a holster from them once you order and pay. Wait time was advertised as 3-4 weeks when I ordered at the beginning of November 2014... I think it is reasonable to believe the holster should be delivered by now.:confused:
Edit to add: I will gladly add a review of the Panther Creek for comparison should they fulfill my order.

Last edited:
You've gone above and beyond what I would have done. I would have been hard-pressed to spend my money to return a product he screwed up on. I would probably post comments everywhere after his "threats", probably posting in every gun forum I could.

Got a great deal on a G20sf here on the forum for hiking trips here in the east. Great thing about the Blackhawk is that it holds all the Glocks and the 20 rides as well as the 19! I like it more and more!
image.jpg

I would encourage anyone considering ordering a custom chest holster to do their research! I have still gotten nothing from Panther Creek Gunleather in nearly FIVE months in spite of three week advertised waits... Just too much drama to continue asking them to fill the order so I asked that they fill it, if they believe it is their business obligation, or donate the money to our troops via green beans if they will not fill the order. Either way, I am not sending them another message or phone call asking that they send me what I paid for.
Taking my blackhawk spec ops holster on a trial run this weekend in the savage gulf area of the south Cumberland plateau. Will let ya'll know how it rides with a pack in wet weather! :dizzy:

Just did a couple of days backpacking carrying the 20sf in the blackhawk. Performed VERY WELL and even slept wearing the holster in my grand trunk double hammock! Highly recommended!:thumb: (Did not take a lot of pics of the holster but you can see the 20sf in this pic partly covered by my lightweight jacket)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Just got this email from the Better Business Bureau: (edit to keep from openly putting my contact info on the net)

odrcomplaint.bbb.org_ODRWeb_images_logoprintsmall_phx.gif
Better Business Bureau, Inc
844 S. 4th Street
Louisville, KY 40203-2186
Phone: (502)583-6546 | Fax: (502)589-9940
info@ky-in.bbb.org

04/17/2015

Dear Sir :

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 3/24/2015 1:48:10 PM against Panther Creek Gunleather. Your complaint was assigned ID XXXXXX.

The BBB has made several attempts to resolve your complaint filed against the above-named business.Unfortunately we have not received a reply from this business. Your Better Business Bureau receives the cooperation of the majority of firms when working with customer problems. Sometimes however, we encounter a company that simply refuses to cooperate.

If your complaint has been resolved or is resolved at a future date, please advise us so we may adjust the company's file.

We sincerely regret we have not been able to assist you. However, please know that anytime the BBB must close a complaint as "no response," the company is advised that continued failure to answer the complaint will result in the company's BBB reliability report stating that the business "has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to failure to respond to complaints." When potential customers check the company's BBB report before doing business (always a good practice), your complaint will help the BBB alert these consumers regarding the company's business practices.

Thank you for using the services of the Better Business Bureau.

I will be much more careful in selecting holster makers in the future... Sometimes a "bargain" winds up being anything but a bargain.:doh:
Gonna stick with the Blackhawks for now!:thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom