• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Over gassed rifles and buffer weights question

@madmarinehayes is giving you good advice, unless you can find a friend to let you borrow some different buffers. I'm shooting a 6.5 Grendel that I was convinced was overgassed until last weekend (threw brass at 1:00 o'clock and BCG occasionally overran the next round in mag).

On a hunch, bought some new mags and was testing with an H2 buffer. Only locked back the BCG about half the time on last shot (thought it was the new mags). Took off brass catcher and brass was only being ejected about 1' at 3:00 o'clock. Hmmm!

Tried the H1 buffer and brass was being kicked out about 5-7' at 1:00 o'clock. Tried the Carbine buffer and started ejecting brass at 2:30 about 10' out. No more failures to feed and no more failures to lock back. So much for the 4:30 ejection rule...

Stay away from the adjustable gas blocks, and experiment with different buffer weights.

A Vltor A5 buffer system would definitely smooth out your operation.

yeah I’ll have no interest in going to the adjustable gas block especially with not shooting a suppressed rifle. Funny you mention that I have theirs already pulled up on optics planet

Attachments

• 7658767B-E4D9-4036-BB9B-3006231FBC35.png
    7658767B-E4D9-4036-BB9B-3006231FBC35.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 9
A vltor A5 system with springco green rifle spring shoots really smooth.
Agreed.
The Springco buffer springs has resolved cycling with various loads and gas length complications. I avoid adjustable gas blocks because it is something else that could foul up. Sons of Liberty uses Springco buffer springs in their platforms. Bottomline is making sure that your platform is durable, reliable and accurate and in that order.

Curious as why to stay away from adjustable gas blocks? I thought they were good to have to “tune” in part of barrel length, buffer weight or ammo weight?

Curious as why to stay away from adjustable gas blocks? I thought they were good to have to “tune” in part of barrel length, buffer weight or ammo weight?

It’s adding moving parts that wear out. If it’s a rifle that is used regularly, you will have to replace that gas block.

In most designs, carbon builds up inside the adjustable gas block, further restricting gas flow. That means that under use, the adjustment you set it to may not stay that way.

Replacing an out of spec barrel with one that is properly made is your best option.

The restricted flow gas tubes from Black River Tactical are a better choice than an adjustable gas block.

The Vltor A5 buffer system is the most reliable buffer system on the market. According to testing done by the USMC, it is even more reliable than the M16A2/A4 rifle buffer system. As a side effect, it does smooth out operation. It’s the only buffer system I used in my AR’s.

Putting an adjustable gas block on a rifle that is already running reliably is heading in the wrong direction. I see folks constantly swapping and “upgrading” parts on their AR, in pursuit of I-don’t-know-what. If it runs, leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom