• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Over gassed rifles and buffer weights question

thendricks

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
Over gassed rifles is pretty common when running a shorter barrel. One simple fix is bye do you want adjustable gas block or changing your buffer out. The question is which weight buffer to go with. Most rifles are set up with the carving buffer which is 3 ounces. Looking to switch mine out to either at each2 or H3 buffer making it 4.65 oz or 5.5 oz. there are some options in between there too. Running 10.5 in 5.56 not sure how heave of a buffer to go with.

Way to many variables here to give you an exact answer. You really should try several different things. I'd start heavy and then go down if needed especially if you plan to run a suppressor.

The ejection pattern is a basic indicator, very basic. The pattern will change with ammo selection. Heavier bullets (75-80 grain) use less powder, make less gas, and loose less velocity when shot out of a relatively short barrel.

Before swapping parts around:

If it is a factory built gun, e-mail the customer service people and ask them about the issue.

If it is a parts gun, put together by an individual, you might find that talking to a local gunsmith who specializes in AR15’s is a money saving option.

The buffer weight is the easiest thing to change and has a very low risk of negative consequences.

An adjustable gas block is a nice option if the gun is more of a toy or range gun than a defensive weapon.

Ar’s tend to throw the brass a long way.

The ejection pattern is a basic indicator, very basic. The pattern will change with ammo selection. Heavier bullets (75-80 grain) use less powder, make less gas, and loose less velocity when shot out of a relatively short barrel.

Before swapping parts around:

If it is a factory built gun, e-mail the customer service people and ask them about the issue.

If it is a parts gun, put together by an individual, you might find that talking to a local gunsmith who specializes in AR15’s is a money saving option.

The buffer weight is the easiest thing to change and has a very low risk of negative consequences.

An adjustable gas block is a nice option if the gun is more of a toy or range gun than a defensive weapon.

Ar’s tend to throw the brass a long way.

I run 55 fmj out of it. I don’t really go into heavier rounds in that rifle.

It is a factor built gun with a different bolt carrier. I wanted a better one. It’s just a cheap PSA rifle.

Since this is a cheap rifle I’m not trying to go to in-depth. Just looking to tune the gas system a bit for smoother operation.

I run 55 fmj out of it. I don’t really go into heavier rounds in that rifle.

It is a factor built gun with a different bolt carrier. I wanted a better one. It’s just a cheap PSA rifle.

Since this is a cheap rifle I’m not trying to go to in-depth. Just looking to tune the gas system a bit for smoother operation.

Other than not being as smooth as you’d like, it has been reliable?

Back
Top Bottom