• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of state pistol sale - questions

GAGunguy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
260   1
Reaction score
A buddy of mine wants to buy one of my pistols. I know he's not a felon, he has a high level security clearance from the govt. He lives in VA, ex Marine.

We are getting together in FL in Jan and I am going to bring the pistol to let him fondle it.

Question: Do I have to ship it to VA to have it transferred to his FFL, or can he drive home with it and do the transfer when he is back in VA? Can I ship it? or does it need to be shipped by a GA FFL?

Thanks

I believe to be absolutely legal you should ship to a VA dealer. You can ship direct with a copy of their FFL, but would have to go overnight with UPS. Cheaper to ship through a local dealer who can send USPS.

That's the squeaky clean approach. Do they have gun registration in VA ?

The pistol has to be transferred to him by an FFL in Va. He will have to meet any requirements of VA. law in addition to the federal standards.

You can send the pistol to the VA. FFL via commercial service, or deliver it in person.

He can't take it back to VA. himself because the FFL will have no record of the gun coming in from you.

Legally the gun does not have to be shipped by a GA. FFL. Extra legally, some FFLs as a matter of business practice will only take guns sent from another FFL. You will have to check with the receiving FFL as to it's business practice.

Also, as StuP StuP mentioned, a local FFL can ship the gun through USPS, you can't. It's a lot cheaper. My FFL does it as a service, I package and label the gun, he sticks his paperwork in it and I take it to USPS. The local FFL does not have to "log in" your gun, he is not making a transfer. If he tells you you "have" to transfer it through a GA. FFL he is lying, and you might want to re-evaluate your business relationship with him.

Old thread I know but so much inaccurate info out there. For personal firearm sales in the State of Georgia, one can legally sell a firearm, handgun or longgun, to another regardless of his residency. Only thing to prevent that sale would be age and legal status, felon or not of the buyer (face to face transaction).
So many stating that a transfer is required.. That is ONLY if you are an FFL dealer. Then you have to run the gammet of Federal paperwork.
Bad info is being spread. Please research your state law before stating sales must go thru a background check for personal sales to locals or out of state residents.
LMAO! Oh please school us lone star man ( or is that the Bonnie Blue?) There is a bed waiting on you in ATL Federal Penitentiary.

Old thread I know but so much inaccurate info out there. For personal firearm sales in the State of Georgia, one can legally sell a firearm, handgun or longgun, to another regardless of his residency. Only thing to prevent that sale would be age and legal status, felon or not of the buyer (face to face transaction).
So many stating that a transfer is required.. That is ONLY if you are an FFL dealer. Then you have to run the gammet of Federal paperwork.
Bad info is being spread. Please research your state law before stating sales must go thru a background check for personal sales to locals or out of state residents.

Link to this rule/regulation please.

I don't have time to school the ignorant, There's going to be a thread with this guy in the future. "ODT Help! Charged with violation of Interstate Commerce in Firearms laws!"

Back
Top Bottom