Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Out of State Inheritance Question

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Out of State Inheritance Question

(Mods pls help me out if this is in the wrong place)

I inherited a rifle and a couple of shotguns from Virginia and was wondering if there was anything special I need to do to move them to GA legally. Any info appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
You don't need an FFL for this one.

But, ATF has some guidance about how to get the guns and what documentation you might need or want to show any cop who might challenge you.

I think ATF has either a memo about this topic published on the Internet for anybody to find, or it is one of their frequently asked questions on their FAQ website.

You don't need an FFL for this one.

But, ATF has some guidance about how to get the guns and what documentation you might need or want to show any cop who might challenge you.

I think ATF has either a memo about this topic published on the Internet for anybody to find, or it is one of their frequently asked questions on their FAQ website.
You need to listen to our ODT lawyer brother

I' thinking of just finding an FFL next time I'm up there- I don't need Mom getting any grief over this. They were my step-father's guns- highly doubt she could locate any documentation on them. Any idea what that process would look like? Would she just need to sign something verifying that she is the legal owner or would she need to somehow verify 'registration" of some kind?

THX

I inherited a deployment bag full guns from my Mother in Law about 5 years ago with her dog. I felt bad because she did not leave them to her Son. I kept a few and gave the rest to my Brother in Law. I drove home to Georgia and it's been good ever since. Try, everything in your POWER not to go to Probate, everyone loses. We went into "Probate" over my Mother in Law 's properties, 3 Houses, Cars, Guns and bank money. The drama started when my sister-in-Law demanded 90% of everything. It was my Wife n Brother in Law, against my sister-in-Law. Long story short, my brother-in-law was the administrator in charge of everything, he did some illegal stuff to try to get the Muscle Cars left in the garage. I had 2 get involved and sell 2 homes to pay off the Lawyers fees. Now, it's a family divided. This was 5 years ago, we are still dividing the bank money.

Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

Has the estate been probated, that is, has someone been appointed an executor or administrator of the estate?

If so, the best practice is to get a bill of sale from the person transferring the guns to you. The least that does is establish a record for you that you received the guns as a bequest and not by some other avenue. I'm not saying it's required, but it's a good record keeping procedure that won't do you any harm and may provide some benefit down the road.

The truth is you could probably put them in the boot of your car and bring them on back to Georgia, but this is a case where an ounce of prevention may be worth a pound of cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom