• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of State FFL Question

Yes. But it is still and option available the USPS or UPS doesn't give you....

An FFL can ship regular rates through USPS and UPS. My local FFL doesn't charge me, I pay his cost, take it to him all packaged up except for sealing, and away it goes. Helps to have a good local FFL.

Seems like it could be a gray area. No way to prove any transaction, how it was transported, who sold what... "I got it from Billy Bob who got it from grand pappy who got it from so and so who found it in the woods, blah blah..."

No way to prove a lot of stuff, except that a lot of people seems to be genetically unable to STFU.

Used to work with drug squad, and I was always amazed at how someone would get caught with a bag of weed, wet their pants, and roll over on every one they knew. Folks would come in, "I never thought Billy Bob would snitch on me."

I can take Billy Bob's cell ph. records and show that on a certain date and time, he drove to your house. I can take your credit card records and show that you were buying ammo of a certain caliber. I can take your cell ph. records/ODT chat records/email and see all sorts of stuff. This day and age, it's really tough to set up a sale without leaving some sort of trail.

I can take Billy Bob's cell ph. records and show that on a certain date and time, he drove to your house. I can take your credit card records and show that you were buying ammo of a certain caliber. I can take your cell ph. records/ODT chat records/email and see all sorts of stuff. This day and age, it's really tough to set up a sale without leaving some sort of trail.

got a warrant for all of that?

It's a federal crime with a possible penalty of 10 years in prison to sell (give, long term loan, or otherwise "transfer"), a gun directly to a resident of some other state.

It doesn't matter if that other resident travels to visit you and you both stand next to each other in only one state when the gun passes hands -- the residency of the parties is what matters.

FFL dealers can sell long guns to residence of other states (absent any law in either of the two states that would forbid it) but private individuals can't.

It's a federal crime with a possible penalty of 10 years in prison to sell (give, long term loan, or otherwise "transfer"), a gun directly to a resident of some other state.

It doesn't matter if that other resident travels to visit you and you both stand next to each other in only one state when the gun passes hands -- the residency of the parties is what matters.

FFL dealers can sell long guns to residence of other states (absent any law in either of the two states that would forbid it) but private individuals can't.
What if the guy you sell to says he is a resident but actually isn't? Or, what if he shows a fake ID? Is the seller at fault?

A lawyer once told me, he tracks which guns he owns. Either guns "with papers" or guns casually acquired. Wonder why he does this???

upload_2021-7-1_9-30-52.png

What if the guy you sell to says he is a resident but actually isn't? Or, what if he shows a fake ID? Is the seller at fault?
If he showed a fake ID then I believe you would be fine. If he says he is a resident and you don't ask to see ID then you could possibly be prosecuted. That would likely be at the discretion of some Assistant US Attorney somewhere.
A lawyer once told me, he tracks which guns he owns. Either guns "with papers" or guns casually acquired. Wonder why he does this???
CYA

Back
Top Bottom