• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Openly Carrying A Rifle in GA

@GAgunLAWbooklet would you weigh in on this, Sir?

According to Mossberg and the ATF, the Shockwave is not a shotgun or AOW. However they also state that the act of concealing it changes the laws which apply. The argument that it may or may not be registered as an AOW is irrelevant.

My understanding is that if someone conceal carries a firearm without a permit in GA, they are breaking the law. Is that not correct? And with the Shockwave, concealing it automatically makes that an AOW (since it’s not a shotgun) and the person carrying it is subject to being charged with having an unregistered AOW and illegally carrying a concealed firearm. Is that not correct?

Um, you know there's nothing in any of that that prohibits carrying a concealed weapon, right?
Everyone is wrong once or twice in their life....Once you realize it please delete your incorrect comments. For example, when I have been wrong I retract my comments and admit that I was in fact wrong.

Edited:

The attorney mr Monroe, added way down in the thread the word anymore....it’s still unclear because you know attorney speak. ....maybe I’m wrong now...idk...
Being wrong is good sometimes. . , for example I have been wrong about every presidential election so far. Lol
“Let’s speak in a way that the normal public will have to hire us interpret it for them.”...some attorney somewhere.

Um, you know there's nothing in any of that that prohibits carrying a concealed weapon, right?

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

If you conceal a firearm that’s not a pistol, that very act makes it an AOW. If you get arrested while doing so then you will be charged under AOW laws. Does it make sense? No. But that’s the law.

AOW is a federal law. There is no state equivalent. So you would have to be arrested by a federal LEO.

A state or local LEO would probably charge you carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, because they are not familiar with AOW, If you have a permit you probably would not be charged with anything.

If you are charged with carrying without a permit, you can spend thousands of dollars hiring a lawyer to argue that a permit is not required to carry an AOW. Good luck finding a judge who will understand that. Besides which the judge may very well find that AOW is not defined under Ga. law, and you were carrying a sawed off shotgun. Georgia does not have to recognize federal definitions of firearms.

just me, maybe I'm chicken ****, but seems like a lot of risk and expense to prove a point, when there are good alternatives.

For the intent of carrying with a Ga WCL, a weapon is considered a handgun or a knife. AOW is not a handgun. I don't believe it is legal even with a WCL to carry anything classified as "AOW" or "Firearm" such as the Shockwave concealed.

Back
Top Bottom