• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Openly Carrying A Rifle in GA

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.
Do you think it the least bit odd that the language you quote for the proposition that GA bans carrying a concealed weapon does not have the word "concealed" anywhere within it?

18oZ.gif

Yes. I don't know why, off hand, I have a different screen name on this site. Old age, I suppose.

Cool. I used to hang there until the change in ownership years ago. The gentleman you are debating with was playing as a doctor last week lol. Guess he spent another night at a holiday inn express and became an attorney. Appreciate your work for GCO! Carry on.

Cool. I used to hang there until the change in ownership years ago. The gentleman you are debating with was playing as a doctor last week lol. Guess he spent another night at a holiday inn express and became an attorney. Appreciate your work for GCO! Carry on.
Thanks. I don't come here everyday, but I saw this thread where people were saying it's still a crime to carry a concealed weapon in GA, and I hate to see misinformation being spread to others. We have enough trouble with LEOs and even prosecutors thinking it's a crime, so I'd like to see gun owners know what they can and can't do. It's been a while, but I still occasionally see people being charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Last time I had a client charged with that, at his arraignment I went over to the prosecutor's table and whispered in the prosecutor's ear, "You know that's not a crime any more, right?" She dismissed the case that afternoon.

Thanks. I don't come here everyday, but I saw this thread where people were saying it's still a crime to carry a concealed weapon in GA, and I hate to see misinformation being spread to others. We have enough trouble with LEOs and even prosecutors thinking it's a crime, so I'd like to see gun owners know what they can and can't do. It's been a while, but I still occasionally see people being charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Last time I had a client charged with that, at his arraignment I went over to the prosecutor's table and whispered in the prosecutor's ear, "You know that's not a crime any more, right?" She dismissed the case that afternoon.

what about public gatherings? Lol. Just kidding.

You laugh, but I get more public gathering cases than concealed carry cases.

Back in the day, when you couldn't carry a concealed weapon in the passenger area of an automobile, two local cops charged a guy with multiple crimes, including carrying a concealed weapon in an automobile.

Their probable cause was that they saw the butt of the pistol sticking out from beneath the front seat. That supposedly justified the search of the auto, where the usual drugs were found, and the SHTF.

At the suppression hearing, the judge, who was the former county Chief of Police was pretty irate, and basically chewed the cops out by explaining to them that if they could see the butt of the gun, it wasn't concealed, if it wasn't concealed, there was no probable cause. I'm not sure they ever really understood what he was talking about.

They are mostly retired but there are still officers who will swear that if 3 people are gathered together, that is a "public gathering."

Back
Top Bottom