• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Openly Carrying A Rifle in GA

Linachaw

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Milsurp Collector
99   0
Reaction score
I was wondering is it is legal for someone who does not have a concealed carry licence to openly carry a rifle/shotgun in GA. What sparked my interest is recently I saw the attached picture in my local newspaper. I do not believe the woman to be a police officer, as I do not see a badge and that is not how the law enforcement of Rome dress. She is blatantly carrying a Hi-Point rifle/PCC. Just food for thought

Also, I routinely do ruck marches along the road/highway. I've been wanting to carry my DPMS A2 clone, as one day I will have to do ruck marches with M16A2s and I want to make sure I can go at least 8 miles/ 2.5 hours having an A2 at the low ready without my arms falling off. I don't have a concealed carry permit. Would this be legal for me to do? Obviously I'm of the legal age to buy a rifle/shotgun and am not a felon.

Any advice from someone who knows/has experience with the laws would be greatly appreciated. I just haven't been able to get a direct answer from the internet. Unfortunately, I know many things like this are up to the discretion of the officer. I'm hoping that this is not one of those gray areas where a jerk officer could get you in trouble.
Pic O Deli.PNG

Thanks guys. I know my rights, but often other people don't(some law enforcement included)
I'm not looking for a hassle. Just wanting to exercise my body and rights at the same time

While it is legal, you might consider if it is prudent. I wouldn't go walking around in a Walmart, or at a BLM rally with a open carry rifle. If you don't want a hassle, be smart about how you carry and where you open carry.

At a rally or boycott these days (even non-gun related ones), it almost seems expected.

Just walking down the street with it may get you some attention from LEO, depending on the street. And the LEO.

BTW, you also need to be aware of hunting regs if you carry a long gun in certain areas. Things like whether it can be loaded or not.

Back
Top Bottom