• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One wasnt enough

I need to go there. Heck I live in Alabama. I need a Garand.

Even if Mil-Surp rifles aren't your thing, I think anyone that is an American gun owner with any inkling for the appreciation of history NEEDS a Garand in their collection. The CMP happens to be the best resource for them and there's not much of an excuse for those of us within a few hours drive to not go pick one out.

Even if Mil-Surp rifles aren't your thing, I think anyone that is an American gun owner with any inkling for the appreciation of history NEEDS a Garand in their collection. The CMP happens to be the best resource for them and there's not much of an excuse for those of us within a few hours drive to not go pick one out.

....or two, or......

Does anyone here remark there own parts? I'm interested in possibly having the parts done on the special that haven't been repaired already.

Remark or rePARK? Remarking a part to make something more "correct" likely wouldn't look right and would be very involved to make it look decent.

Knock your socks off to repark it though. The Specials aren't really collector pieces like an all GI gun, so I'd think you're not hurting anything.

Remark or rePARK? Remarking a part to make something more "correct" likely wouldn't look right and would be very involved to make it look decent.

Knock your socks off to repark it though. The Specials aren't really collector pieces like an all GI gun, so I'd think you're not hurting anything.
yes, repark. Auto correct got me on that one. I thought about having the parts on the cmp special that haven't been done reparked. The receiver has already been done by the cmp and the barrels new, and all the stock hardware is new. I thought about having the bolt, clip latch, gas cylinder lock, gas cylinder, and trigger guard done to match.

yes, repark. Auto correct got me on that one. I thought about having the parts on the cmp special that haven't been done reparked. The receiver has already been done by the cmp and the barrels new, and all the stock hardware is new. I thought about having the bolt, clip latch, gas cylinder lock, gas cylinder, and trigger guard done to match.

Do it! You aren't hurting anything.....

C.Jones, if you're going to be shooting and hunting with this Garand, be careful about what ammo you feed it. Some commercial .30-06 ammo is not mil-spec, and generates more chamber pressure (or generates the same pressure FASTER, with a sharper pressure curve over time (measured in milliseconds). That can bend or break your operating rod.
Many companies sell .30-06 ammo that is loaded to WWII specifications to prevent this problem, and I myself have hunted deer with M1 Garands loaded with common soft-point hunting loads, 150 grain, not "super performance" or "extra velocity" or anything. Just plain Jane ammo that costs $1 per round.

P.S. I did have a Springfield M1A break its op-rod once, and that gun had seen some use (probably less than 100 rounds) of commercial soft-point hunting ammo in 150 and 180 grain weights, but at the time it broke, I was using 147 gr. military surplus ammo, so I can't say that the ammo certainly caused the problem. But if Springfield hadn't covered it under warranty, it would have been an expensive problem. Op-Rods are not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom