• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One pot soup. Trial results.

C ountry

Default rank <1500 posts
Old but still Bold, CSA Blood
1   0
Reaction score
I'd been in the hospital with covid for a week and sick about two weeks before that. So while in hospital I got to thinking we need to see if we could make it by only eating a "one pot soup" as our daily meals.

I'm so glad that we put it to the test.
Soups included (not at same time) Lentils, chicken, beef in small amounts, green peas, split peas, blackeyed peas, corn, potatoes, chicken broth cubes, carrots, mixed veggies and what ever else the cat dragged in.

Results. Soup was really tasty. Sometimes one bowl was adequate. Other times two and you were hungry again fast. No bread, no deserts. Nothing but soup.
A week later the single pot was joined by another and meat in the oven.
You may not starve fast eating one pot soup but I'm pretty sure over time your body will suffer and your thoughts will only be about a Whopper or Big Mac & pizza.
So if you have your survival menu planned I know you need to put it to the test. Do it now so you can make mods to your preps.

How many Calories do you think your soup had in the one serving? Depending on your activity level one bowl of soup my not be enough. I was taught that in a combat/ level you needed 4000 calories per day in stand down 2000 calories should be enough. Everyone 's body is different. I do like what you wrote about testing your plan and building on it. Thank 's.

I'd been in the hospital with covid for a week and sick about two weeks before that. So while in hospital I got to thinking we need to see if we could make it by only eating a "one pot soup" as our daily meals.

I'm so glad that we put it to the test.
Soups included (not at same time) Lentils, chicken, beef in small amounts, green peas, split peas, blackeyed peas, corn, potatoes, chicken broth cubes, carrots, mixed veggies and what ever else the cat dragged in.

Results. Soup was really tasty. Sometimes one bowl was adequate. Other times two and you were hungry again fast. No bread, no deserts. Nothing but soup.
A week later the single pot was joined by another and meat in the oven.
You may not starve fast eating one pot soup but I'm pretty sure over time your body will suffer and your thoughts will only be about a Whopper or Big Mac & pizza.
So if you have your survival menu planned I know you need to put it to the test. Do it now so you can make mods to your preps.
I've collected quite a few gallon jugs of dehydrated vegetables (mix of 11 different vegetables and vegetarian) and dried and canned beans over the years. https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dried-Vegetable-Soup-Mix-42-oz_p_1779.html
https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Soup-Chili-Mix-Pantry-Stuffer-12-ct_p_2035.html Some of these contain dried beans which provide protein and could double as a meat substitute. Some of the other quart containers contain flavored TVP (soy-based textured vegetable protein) in the mixes. They have a good shelf life. One cup of the vegetable mix makes 6 cups of reconstituted veggies. The quart jars require 1 part mix to 4-6 parts water.

My concern is that in times of shortages that dry soup and beef or chicken bouillon cubes and occasional meat could make a difference. Bread made from sorghum flour (gluten-free) will stay with you longer than wheat bread. I have been buying various flours including wheat, buckwheat, and gluten-free to bake bread in hard times. As well as the other ingredients for breadmaking. For the past two weeks, I have been conditioning myself to take in one meal per day which is doable as long as the day's workload isn't too strenuous.

But preparing for shortages is broader than just buying extra food. Planting a victory garden and buying sufficient seeds for an extended period is needed too. Now is the time to buy these extra garden supplies while they are available and store the seed in Ziplocs preferably in a refrigerator.

A supply of soup making materials, just like basic pasta sauce and noodles, beans and rice, is a good thing to have on hand. If times ever get tough from a food availability standpoint, I am pretty sure most of us will become quite opportunistic in our diet and soup is certainly one way to make unidentifiable ingredients that spouses, children, others might find objectionable or unappealing if served alone.

Harmony House Foods is running another sale on its dehydrated vegetables. https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

My preference is this mix of eleven vegetables: https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dried-Vegetable-Soup-Mix-42-oz_p_1779.html

From their ad-

$20 off your order of $75 or more!

USE CODE EARLY AT CHECKOUT*

FREE Shipping on orders over $99!

www.GoHHF.com or call 1-800-696-1395

One-time use only. Expires 11/7/2021 at midnight ET.

For free shipping, the order total must reach $99.00 even after the coupon is applied.

Back
Top Bottom