• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old camper to utility trailer.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Tore this old camper down and decided to use the frame to make a longer utility trailer.
I cut the extension beams off of the sides to utilize the space from the frame in.
I used some thick angle iron for the corner posts and the rest of the railings are made of old steel bed frames....=cheapest angle iron on the planet you can score for free most of the time.

I got new tires on and got fenders from northern tool.
Fabbed up some brackets and welded them on.

I plan on building guard rails that connect to the fender braces and tie into the frame which will act like guard rails/sliders for my fenders and also act as steps.

The axles have electric drum brakes that I will have to overhaul and wire in.

Need to fab brackets for the lights and install tie downs.

Side panels will be steel or plywood...still debating.

Floor will be steel or wood planks....still debating.

I would like to fabricate or obtain a roll up cover in case it rains on my cargo.

Anyways I’m having fun with my little Lincoln mig welder but I’m just running flux core no gas right now.

It will also have a tailgate and I may fab a high tailgate that dubs as a ramp.

FD189CD0-B7C9-4042-AC9F-11036044467F.jpeg
893CBEA3-51E7-40D3-83B3-56E4EDACD49F.jpeg
2589371D-1249-4D7D-A978-2F027A2B0713.jpeg
162877EA-0B94-492A-AAF9-E66F4D8C2BCA.jpeg
8A5B4D30-A7E1-4105-ABD9-C04BFC394E5B.jpeg

So far so good. I had one I thought about doing that too.

It’s been a very fun and rewarding project.
My young grandsons will be helping me with it and several other projects this weekend.
They are 9 and 5y/o and I try to teach them at least three manly, do it yourself projects every time they come to visit for the weekend and they eat it up.
I taught their mother how to weld and work or cars.
She does all their vehicle maintenance.
I firmly believe in doing as much on your own as humanly possible and passing everything I know to those that are willing to learn.
I never had a Dad around to teach me much so I always take pleasure in teaching family and friends of my daughters and their boyfriends how to fix things.

Nice job not letting that frame go to waste. Looks like a great project and you'll have a nice trailer when you're done. The boys will enjoy helping I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom