• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OK who wants to go back to 1980s gun pricing?

I've got the mosin my Dad bought @ Roses in Beaufort, SC back in the 80's for $75 sitting in my gun room right now.
In 1990 we had 91/30 rifles on sale nearly every Sunday for $49.95. Then we had Enfields for $69.95 . Our store ran out real quick and I had to drive to the next closest store way up in Griffin to get my number 4 Mk1. But the one that really stings is that I missed out on the FR8 Mausers for $129.00.

In cost adjusted dollars, many guns would cost the same. For example, in 1984 a Belgian FAL would set you back about $1,770 or $4,750 today.
First pistol I bought for myself was a Taurus 99 in satin nickle. It was a lay away deal at Arvin's in downtown Macon for seems like $359.00. I COULD have gotten the same pistol in blued finish for a little over $300.00 but it just wasn't as cool as the satin( let me be hones here CHROME) looking finish.
Anyway, point here is that it took me every bit of 3 months to pay that one off and take it home. And it seemed like SO much money for one 9mm pistol. But I was more poor then than now.

First pistol I bought for myself was a Taurus 99 in satin nickle. It was a lay away deal at Arvin's in downtown Macon for seems like $359.00. I COULD have gotten the same pistol in blued finish for a little over $300.00 but it just wasn't as cool as the satin( let me be hones here CHROME) looking finish.
Anyway, point here is that it took me every bit of 3 months to pay that one off and take it home. And it seemed like SO much money for one 9mm pistol. But I was more poor then than now.
I think I made about $100 per month (ROTC stipend) and maybe another $250 per month driving a forklift on weekends in 1984 while in military school.

Back
Top Bottom