• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ok lets get some DIY going on, someone tell me about heating options

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
164   0
Reaction score
So we have an older fairly small house at around 850sqft and im looking to change up our heating option. it was built back in the 50's so no duct work of any kind. In the past we've used a ventless gas fireplace thats worked perfectly fine with the occasional space heater in the bedroom when the door is closed, in the summer its two window units. We've never had issues with it being too hot in the summer or too cool in the winter but i recently started some renovations and part of that was removing the old gas fireplace that needed to be replaced anyways.

So now im not sure which direction to go with, i can replace the gas heater but honestly im not thrilled about just replacing it and the only gas we use is just for it. I've been looking at those mini split system and they are seeming pretty attractive for what we need so wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them or other system that work well for small homes. Cost wise its 600-800 for a new fireplace and i need to replace my window units anyways after this seasons so cost wise it may be a wash against a mini split.

The mini splits are the way to go. Most schools today use them instead of ducted rooftop systems and many commercial applications as well. Some brands offer the adaptability of multiple indoor units with one outdoor unit. For maximum comfort and utility savings I would go with that. Thirty five years in the industry, now retired and I don't sell anything. Just My thinking.

Mini splits do a decent job but you would be better off with more than one to prevent hot/cold spots.

Do Not use ventless for anything. Those damn things are dangerous, and yes I know they are legal.

You could do baseboard electric heat-cheap to install if you have enough breaker panel but expensive to operate.

Actually there are a lot of options, just depends on how much you want to spend.

That's one way to go, usually don't have enough heating capacity because they are 115 volt. Mini splits will need 220v so you have to add in electrical costs. If you don't like looking out the window and having to loose the space in front of it, you can go that route.

There are multi-zone mini splits available.
SUPER cheap to operate...my 1 ton 21 SEER Mutsu system in a 400 sq ft un-insulated sun room works awesome.
But it does require 220v...had the heat on this morning.
Shown upper right corner...

sunroom.JPG

So we have an older fairly small house at around 850sqft and im looking to change up our heating option. it was built back in the 50's so no duct work of any kind. In the past we've used a ventless gas fireplace thats worked perfectly fine with the occasional space heater in the bedroom when the door is closed, in the summer its two window units. We've never had issues with it being too hot in the summer or too cool in the winter but i recently started some renovations and part of that was removing the old gas fireplace that needed to be replaced anyways.

So now im not sure which direction to go with, i can replace the gas heater but honestly im not thrilled about just replacing it and the only gas we use is just for it. I've been looking at those mini split system and they are seeming pretty attractive for what we need so wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them or other system that work well for small homes. Cost wise its 600-800 for a new fireplace and i need to replace my window units anyways after this seasons so cost wise it may be a wash against a mini split.
HD has window units with heat and A/C for about $650

HD has window units with heat and A/C for about $650

i've debated those as well but dunno how well they would work for the heating, maybe if i can find a 220 one it might put out enough heat. i've also been looking at the 220 in wall heaters

our church has purchased two of the split units via Amazon. Pioneer or Panasonic IIRC. I've seen businesses use them in "electronics rooms".

Back
Top Bottom