• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

boy does it!!
I've been trying to get $250 face of walking liberty's....up to $100....hard to get it all together at $225+/- a $10 roll...not as bad when they were $165 a roll when I started....
I'll get there....then on to the the quarters....wanting $250 face of each domination....
already got the silver dollars....going down hill...so to type
looking for $1,000 face of "junk" silver....I do have some bars, and Libertads....I don't count those as far as my barter $ goes...not they they are not, just the way I'm looking at it right now
I know some filks like Libertads but I'm not interested. Originally I didn't want any of them because I assumed the counterfiet factor would be higher with Mexican silver. Then my local metals dealer in Warner Robins told me that wasn't a big problem with Libertads. But the problem they do have is that they can frequently not weigh out to the full ounce.
Anyway, as previously stated I usually don't buy gubment minted stuff due to the higher premiums. I do have the one Maple Leaf from around 2018 and I got a deal in 2 rounds that are Canadian but not Maples. Each one is 1.5oz which was kinda odd and probably the reason they were slow sellers. One side has a profile of the Queen. I forget what was on the reverse. It's cool though because they look like regular 1 oz rounds but they're thicker. Oh and they're 4 9s fine instead of 999.

Be careful...Counterfeiters from China are very hi quality and they have pre silver Franklin halfs with wear that were caught that look like a perfect match.
Damn, that blows! One of the big factors for folks buying the 90% silver is that it was supposedly almost never counterfeited. Damn Chicoms will knock off ANYTHING. Seriously, I thought it was pathetic when I read about them knocking off Magpul flip up sights. The real ones are only around $50.00. How cheap does something have to be that they won't counterfeit it?

I agree with your comment. Ad far as bars go I am bidding on a 5 oz now . I would like to add one or two 5 oz bars to my stack but that's as big of a bar as I would want.
In a situation where silver would actually be currency I believe a lot of people would be looking crazy when presented with bars. And the bigger the bar the bigger the problem in bartering with it.
As fas as the 90% junk silver I just got into that but I can see the appeal. Premiums are lower and being fractional makes it much better if it had to be used as currency. So far my favorite is the dimes and half dollars. It adds up quickly.
In early US colonial times, they would cut individual silver coins into pieces, usually 8. This is where "pieces of 8" came from. If we started using silver as the medium of exchange again, and presuming that this is some kind of societal collapse situation, then many silver bars would likely end up being cut to pieces.

In early US colonial times, they would cut individual silver coins into pieces, usually 8. This is where "pieces of 8" came from. If we started using silver as the medium of exchange again, and presuming that this is some kind of societal collapse situation, then many silver bars would likely end up being cut to pieces.
I would espect that if silver was suddenly THE currency. And in that situation I wouldn't give a damn about cutting up bars. But it just seems like it would be a helluva lot easier to use 1 oz rounds, bars or 90% fractional silver.

I would espect that if silver was suddenly THE currency. And in that situation I wouldn't give a damn about cutting up bars. But it just seems like it would be a helluva lot easier to use 1 oz rounds, bars or 90% fractional silver.

At that point lead will be like an American Express

15th century Spanish dollars, 8 reals. High quality coins. Often cut into 8 pieces, or "bits".

Back
Top Bottom