• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

I know that most people like bullion coins over bars. But Dollar for dollar, bars are usually a better deal when trying to cut do on the premiums over the spot price. Are any of you here ok with buying their PMs in bar form??

I have a bunch of bars. I'm probably 50/50 rounds bars. I have a bunch of ASE, but most of the bullion I have is just bars/rounds

Looking to get into some Silver. Any reccomendations on where to start? “Junk” coins...? Anything to stay away from?

I started buying silver about 18 months ago. Initially made the mistake of buying special coins from online retailers. Then did some research and found my purpose which was to buy as many ounces as I could for as few dollars as necessary to obtain them. In other words, buying silver (in whatever form) for as little premium over spot as possible. For me, that has amounted to having mostly constitutional or "junk" silver - US coinage pre-1965. I have several places that I look online and I always do the math to see who is truly selling the cheapest. Remember - if you are looking at junk coin, 1 face dollar (4 quarters, 2 halves, 10 dimes) all are considered 0.715 ounce silver, so to get the correct spot for what you are considering, multiply the number of face dollars x 0.715 x current spot price. THAT's the spot of the actual silver content. Anything above that is premium.

Hope that helps!

Before I buy any old silver dollars, mainly for melt not collectibles, can anyone tell me which ones are more likely fake than others? Thanks

Before I buy any old silver dollars, mainly for melt not collectibles, can anyone tell me which ones are more likely fake than others? Thanks
Any of them can be and are routinely faked. Take a magnet when you go to buy. A local pawn shop dealer showed me 6 or 8 dollar coins including Morgan and Peace and even a Seated Liberty dollar that all looked real but they all stuck to the magnet. Weight is often an indicator but if you can't bring a scale, drop them from a few inches on a flat surface and see if they ring. If they don't, they are probably fake.

Silver dimes, quarter and halves are the ticket if things go bad. Silver dollars are neat but not quickly recognized by a lot of people. 1 ounce bars are showing up counterfeit as are 5 and 10 ounce bars. Silver dimes are seldom faked as well as quarters are usually good and they are small enough to buy things like bread or meat when you put 4 or 5 of them together.

Back
Top Bottom