• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Hey, guys. I was cleaning out my parents shed and found a TON of silverware. Most of it was directly marked sterling, but some of it was a bit more vague with their hallmarks. If anyone here is good at identifying this kind of stuff, can you tell me whether or not these are silver or just silver plated?
silver spoon1.jpg
silver spoon2.jpg

Hey, guys. I was cleaning out my parents shed and found a TON of silverware. Most of it was directly marked sterling, but some of it was a bit more vague with their hallmarks. If anyone here is good at identifying this kind of stuff, can you tell me whether or not these are silver or just silver plated?
View attachment 3138541 View attachment 3138542
I got my answer from someone on a different forum. The top is sterling and the bottom is coin. Later I'll take a picture of the haul and post it here. Spoiler: it's a LOT.

Alright, I'm cleaning out my parent's shed and found the family's silverware. After sorting through what was just plated silver and what was clearly marked as being silver, this is what ended up being the good stuff. After accounting for the sterling being 92.5% silver and what little was coin silver (90%), the total silver content is over 103.6 troy ounces. NICE haul.
silverware from garage.jpg

All the finds reminded that I got a package from my sister in the UK last. Going through my grandmother's things, (who died years ago), they found these in an envelope with my name on it. 1 from my grandmother's birth year, 1899, and 2 from mine.View attachment 3140641
Those sovereigns are great coins.
I lived in England in the early 70's and had a British neighbor we spent a lot of time with. They had never had tacos or corn on the cob or Southern Comfort and Coke. We had never had a Sunday joint (I was shocked when they asked but it turns out it's a leg of lamb). I hadn't had bangers and mash for breakfast and a few of their other treats. They didn't like ice in their cokes and preferred warm beer.

Anyway, we became good friends over the 3 years I was there and on my way out they got into the family jewelry box and gave me an 1880 something sovereign as a going away present. I really liked it and over the years moving around it went missing. Now days I couldn't afford to replace it.

Enjoy your gifts.

Back
Top Bottom