• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OFFICIAL ODT CMP RANGE MEET AND GREET POLL ---When do you want to go?

OFFICIAL ODT CMP MEET AND GREET POLL ---When do you want to go?

• August

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • September

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • October

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • November

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • December

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Count me in for whenever. I just went today for the first time, and it's nice. Empty, if you can make it on a weekday. Hot, sure-- but I was only in the sun moving equipment to/from my truck (I only shot rifles). And it rained. But then the wind stopped, which was worth waiting out the rain for. Wasn't supposed to be any wind, but there was. Anyway, that's a stunning facility, and I'm pretty sure any fence-sitters will be glad if they take the plunge.

Heck, they have water stations and bathrooms at all the ranges. Classy.
Good report. What distances were you shooting? Set up? Rifle?

Well, you can't bring everything. Pretty much .338 Lapua is the limit. But I'm not sure why-- and I asked. Couldn't get a straight answer, but my best guess was that folks were missing the targets, and tearing up the stands and cabling, with the bigger guns they couldn't control. Again, that's my guess.

Not that I really see the need to test your .500 Nitro out on a 300 yard range, but whatever. (Dangerous game is a 50 yard proposition, or it ain't dangerous. Sights are regulated accordingly.)

I had some AR-15s, and a 6.5x284. Couldn't better about 1.2 MOA 300 and 600 with them... and I've done better at Gunsite Hills, where I could put small dots on paper.

Shooting off their benches, with my rests/bags. Good scopes. I wanna shoot at a 4" orange dot on a black surround at 600, not a 3-foot unmarked black circle on a white background. Your mileage may vary. But I'm certain with optics that I shoot smaller groups when I have a better defined aiming point.

The electronic scoring is the bomb though. I've been analyzing my pictures and notes all evening...

It's still awesome though. Next time, I'll try out the pistol bays and the shotgun sports. You can EASILY spend a day there.

Well, you can't bring everything. Pretty much .338 Lapua is the limit. But I'm not sure why-- and I asked. Couldn't get a straight answer, but my best guess was that folks were missing the targets, and tearing up the stands and cabling, with the bigger guns they couldn't control. Again, that's my guess.

Not that I really see the need to test your .500 Nitro out on a 300 yard range, but whatever. (Dangerous game is a 50 yard proposition, or it ain't dangerous. Sights are regulated accordingly.)

I had some AR-15s, and a 6.5x284. Couldn't better about 1.2 MOA 300 and 600 with them... and I've done better at Gunsite Hills, where I could put small dots on paper.

Shooting off their benches, with my rests/bags. Good scopes. I wanna shoot at a 4" orange dot on a black surround at 600, not a 3-foot unmarked black circle on a white background. Your mileage may vary. But I'm certain with optics that I shoot smaller groups when I have a better defined aiming point.

The electronic scoring is the bomb though. I've been analyzing my pictures and notes all evening...

It's still awesome though. Next time, I'll try out the pistol bays and the shotgun sports. You can EASILY spend a day there.
When we were there last they were supposedly painting cross hairs on the 100 and 200 yard ranges the next week. I hope that got done.
You DEFINITELY can easily spend the entire day because we did AND ran out of time! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom