• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT SCUBA class sign up page with details

Status
Not open for further replies.
so asthma is considered a respiratory issue right?

I do not think asthma is a disqualification as long as it is controlled.

I am still very interested, but what is White Quarry location? Any chance of an ocean water checkout dive location; if so what likely places?

In White GA there is a rock quarry but Mark dives everywhere all the time. He will check you out anywhere he happens to be. I have known him to travel wherever anyone wants to take him for a checkout dive. He really is the best and you won't have a hard time getting checkout dives.

At one time, the scuba industry considered asthma to be an absolute contraindication to diving. But that position has softened a bit. An inhaler can't be used underwater so anyone that relies on an inhaler frequently is probably not a good candidate for scuba. But someone that was diagnosed as a kid and hasn't had an attack in years, or someone that very rarely uses an inhaler and only after extreme exertion probably can dive. But we're not doctors. So when in doubt we will give you a form that explains contraindications to diving in medical language and ask that you visit your physician. He/she can give an expert opinion and we'll go from there. Hope this helps.

At one time, the scuba industry considered asthma to be an absolute contraindication to diving. But that position has softened a bit. An inhaler can't be used underwater so anyone that relies on an inhaler frequently is probably not a good candidate for scuba. But someone that was diagnosed as a kid and hasn't had an attack in years, or someone that very rarely uses an inhaler and only after extreme exertion probably can dive. But we're not doctors. So when in doubt we will give you a form that explains contraindications to diving in medical language and ask that you visit your physician. He/she can give an expert opinion and we'll go from there. Hope this helps.

And here's the man now. Bout time.

Is this a one time deal or will this be going on again in the future?

As far as I know it's a one time deal. I asked Mark to put one together for ODT (he's a lurker) and he obliged. He's certainly not in it to make money and doing this for the love of the game.

Well damn unfortunately I couldn't make 2 of the classes so fingers crossed he has a soft heart and does a 2nd group of ODTers lol

The closest local comercial dive site is a flooded rock quarry in White GA (Dive GA located at 801 Old Tennessee Hwy). Lakes and quarries are not the most entertaining dive sites but minimize travel expenses and are ideal for folks with busy schedules that can only take a day off here and there. I dive the springs of north FL and the panhandle almost every month. The springs offer much more to see, really clear water, and warmer water. Hotels in the area are reasonable and it's an easy weekend trip. The ocean diving off Panama City, Destin, Port St Joe, Pensacola, etc. is usually OK and we can work in a day of ocean diving into a weekend trip. I would recommend diving a spring on Friday and Saturday, and then hitting the ocean on Sunday. But this adds about $85-$100 to our travel expenses for the dive boat. (With larger groups the dive boat will comp the instructor's boat fee but if the group is small we'll have to work that in also.) To get into good ocean diving we'll need to go down to West Palm or even to the Keys. Now we're talking about significant travel expenses but the diving is much better than in the panhandle. If I am diving anywhere any ODT member can show up and complete certification dives. (Of course, let me know in advance so that I'll have the necessary equipment on hand.) Just show up. If ODT members want to schedule a trip at other times and are willing to cover my expenses, I'm all in. So might I recommend the Caribbean? ;)

The closest local comercial dive site is a flooded rock quarry in White GA (Dive GA located at 801 Old Tennessee Hwy). Lakes and quarries are not the most entertaining dive sites but minimize travel expenses and are ideal for folks with busy schedules that can only take a day off here and there. I dive the springs of north FL and the panhandle almost every month. The springs offer much more to see, really clear water, and warmer water. Hotels in the area are reasonable and it's an easy weekend trip. The ocean diving off Panama City, Destin, Port St Joe, Pensacola, etc. is usually OK and we can work in a day of ocean diving into a weekend trip. I would recommend diving a spring on Friday and Saturday, and then hitting the ocean on Sunday. But this adds about $85-$100 to our travel expenses for the dive boat. (With larger groups the dive boat will comp the instructor's boat fee but if the group is small we'll have to work that in also.) To get into good ocean diving we'll need to go down to West Palm or even to the Keys. Now we're talking about significant travel expenses but the diving is much better than in the panhandle. If I am diving anywhere any ODT member can show up and complete certification dives. (Of course, let me know in advance so that I'll have the necessary equipment on hand.) Just show up. If ODT members want to schedule a trip at other times and are willing to cover my expenses, I'm all in. So might I recommend the Caribbean? ;)

See. Anywhere you want to take him.

I want to dive in the big ass tank at Bass Pro. There's a catfish in there that looks mighty tasty. Could you make that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom