• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*** ODT CMP range invasion version 2.0 *** October 1st.

A couple more shots of that 1873 trap door

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I agree with Kuduman about the pistol range. 50 ft, bleh. I did enjoy talking to the RSO while shooting at the trees. Man they are stiff to move. I shot ten at 25 and 10 at 50 yds on Range 3 so I could use it on a future visit, but there was no one there shooting Bullseye. I think Sarah said the action pistol bays are open to the public when special events aren't happening. Like today, there is a steel challenge. I expect them to be closed.

Nah, the action are only open on alternating Saturdays, when they have "practice days". Presumably, then you wait in line to shoot the reactive targets. While they lie unused all week... Net result-- there's still nowhere in the area that is 1.) Open to the public, and 2.) Has plate racks or much of anything reactive-wise. CMP had the "dueling trees"-- but set up wrong. They're supposed to lean toward the shooter, so the only stable positions for the swingers is fully left, or fully right. When you lean the post AWAY from the shooter, they all end up in the middle, and worthless, until the next cold period.

I had a good time, and I presume Geaux did, until we got kicked out. :) Got my fill of the plate rack, and the star in about an hour. Turns out that clearing a 5-disk Texas Star with a six-shot snubnose revolver... is hard. And no, I didn't manage it with the snubbie. Easy with my CZ though, and I managed it in only 5 shots. Once. At about ten yards.

I don't know about the steel challenge in the action bays-- they were definitely not set up for that, and word was that due to illness it was cancelled. But the "Babes and Bullets" group was there-- they somehow had reserved some of the action bays.

That's too bad. I'm coming to the realization that I'll likely come to CMP for three pos rifle shooting and maybe some Bullseye pistol. If I can find my shotguns I might do clays for a change.

Yup. For me-- 600 yard rifle and shotgun sports... but since there's no aiming point in the middle, will probably start going to Chief's instead, where I can whatever paper I want. Though the electronic scoring is super duper nice!

I'm indtalling a Ross sporter sight on my Martini Henry so I can adjust windage. I wondr if they'll allow that on the line? It's under 50 cal.

Had a blast but didn't see other ODTers besides @RHelton10 and his wife. Spent the morning on the 100 yard range (lane #4) dialing in the .22. Those little 40gr didn't like the wind. Moved up to the 600 after lunch time. Broke the DXR in and sighted the scope in at 200. To conserve Ammo I shot only 3 and 5 red strings.

IMG_1659-X3.jpg

IMG_1663-X3.jpg

This was 300 but the target monitor was messed up. They had to reset it after this. I moved on to 600 afterwards.
IMG_1665-X3.jpg

Those 55gr and 62gr really fought the wind at 600yards.
IMG_1669-X3.jpg

Wind won on shot 3:
IMG_1670-X3.jpg

And the last 30 rounds of the day
IMG_1674-X3.jpg

Had a blast but didn't see other ODTers besides @RHelton10 and his wife. Spent the morning on the 100 yard range (lane #4) dialing in the .22. Those little 40gr didn't like the wind. Moved up to the 600 after lunch time. Broke the DXR in and sighted the scope in at 200. To conserve Ammo I shot only 3 and 5 red strings.

IMG_1659-X3.jpg

IMG_1663-X3.jpg

This was 300 but the target monitor was messed up. They had to reset it after this. I moved on to 600 afterwards.
IMG_1665-X3.jpg

Those 55gr and 62gr really fought the wind at 600yards.
IMG_1669-X3.jpg

Wind won on shot 3:
IMG_1670-X3.jpg

And the last 30 rounds of the day
IMG_1674-X3.jpg

Excellent shooting sir! Sorry we missed you, we were at the other end, #29 and 30

Back
Top Bottom