• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*** ODT CMP range invasion version 2.0 *** October 1st.

Geaux and I and Cheshire Goat were shooting together, after about noon. I discovered the action pistol bays had a plate rack and a Texas star; Geaux happened along about then and we shot the star for a while. Then got thrown out-- apparently, those ranges are off limits. Too bad; those reactive targets are interesting; the "dueling trees" at the pistol range are not.

We hit the pistol range briefly, and then went and did sporting clays. I'd never done that before; it was fun.

No pictures, except of shot groups. That's a couple of 10-shot AR-15 groups, and a (bad-- phone "camera") view through the scope at 600.

Even on a Saturday, the place wasn't crowded. I'd say leave your pistols at home unless you're going to shoot 25 and 50 yards-- the "general" pistol range is crowded, and sort of pointless. No different from any indoor range anywhere, except no target runners. The long rifle range was pretty empty before noon; I think some more folks showed up after that.

Anyway, enough rambling. It was fun.
IMG_20161001_110140520.jpg
IMG_20161001_115914505_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161001_122121794.jpg

No pictures, except of shot groups. That's a couple of 10-shot AR-15 groups, and a (bad-- phone "camera") view through the scope at 600.

View attachment 920419

Dang man, you were drillin' it with that AR! What's your setup?

If I ever zoomed into my targets that high at 600 yards you wouldn't see anything...

Dang man, you were drillin' it with that AR! What's your setup?

If I ever zoomed into my targets that high at 600 yards you wouldn't see anything...

Thanks! It's not really fancy, but it's not tacticool either: Rock River Target upper, my handloads (77 gr SMK at 2730 fps), low-end Vortex scope. Geiselle trigger. Fixed stock, random lower. Frankengun, basically. But it shoots pretty well, even with the wind whipping around some like yesterday.

Groups would not look like that with 55 gr. mil-spec ammo. Though I have to admit that Black Hills 77 gr OTM, is _almost_ as good as my handloads. Almost. If anyone is looking to try some .223 match ammo, Fed Gold Medal Match is sort of the standard-- but the Black Hills shoots much better for me-- in all of my several ARs. The Black Hills is pricey though.

I agree with Kuduman about the pistol range. 50 ft, bleh. I did enjoy talking to the RSO while shooting at the trees. Man they are stiff to move. I shot ten at 25 and 10 at 50 yds on Range 3 so I could use it on a future visit, but there was no one there shooting Bullseye. I think Sarah said the action pistol bays are open to the public when special events aren't happening. Like today, there is a steel challenge. I expect them to be closed.

Ok so after careful consideration....I think I know my next gun purchase. Either a 1903 or a MVP Mossberg in .556.... Totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom