• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Octane 45 2.0 vs Obsidian 45

Optimus Prime

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
More Than Meets The Eye
341   0
Reaction score
Been saving for months towards 2 more pistol cans almost ready to drop the coin. I’ve really been after the Obsidian 45 after shooting one last year at the of the RHR metering days… K configuration doesn’t really interest me, but the dbs and tone are phenomenal. I’ve already got an Octane 45HD and I’ve been keeping my eye on the Octane 45 2.0 since it came out earlier this year but haven’t seen any decent reviews nor do I know anyone that’s gotten one yet.

The 2 new cans will entirely live 6+ different PCCs. Currently everything is direct thread but I’d like to switch them over to 3-lug. I’d keep my current Octane for handgun use only.

At a total difference of over $300 less for a pair of Octane 2.0s vs Obsidians, that will go a long way for mounts…

Fun fact: SilencerCo is a little compatible with Rugged. Rugged pistons work with SilencerCo suppressors. So if you got the Octane you can use your pistons with the Obsidian without having to keep purchasing pistons. Havent checked out the Octane 2.0 yet.

Fun fact: SilencerCo is a little compatible with Rugged. Rugged pistons work with SilencerCo suppressors. So if you got the Octane you can use your pistons with the Obsidian without having to keep purchasing pistons. Havent checked out the Octane 2.0 yet.

Yep, that’s one of my driving decisions on the Obsidian too!

Sometimes when you have a few items from one manufacturer its good to experience new manufacturers.

Its lighter and just as quiet. Only reason the Obsidian is more is cause of the ability to out it in the K configuration. Literally the baffles inside look the same on the cans. I got me a 2.0 cause the offer them cheap on the Speq program (military, law enforcement, first responders) but @Quiet Riot Firearms has them for $499.99

So unless you want to K configuration I'd save the money and get the 2.0

Been saving for months towards 2 more pistol cans almost ready to drop the coin. I’ve really been after the Obsidian 45 after shooting one last year at the of the RHR metering days… K configuration doesn’t really interest me, but the dbs and tone are phenomenal. I’ve already got an Octane 45HD and I’ve been keeping my eye on the Octane 45 2.0 since it came out earlier this year but haven’t seen any decent reviews nor do I know anyone that’s gotten one yet.

The 2 new cans will entirely live 6+ different PCCs. Currently everything is direct thread but I’d like to switch them over to 3-lug. I’d keep my current Octane for handgun use only.

At a total difference of over $300 less for a pair of Octane 2.0s vs Obsidians, that will go a long way for mounts…
Go 2.0 cheaper the baffles are the same and lighter. The they sound the same the test may show a DB or two difference but your not going to hear the difference. I got me a 2.0 cause its a solid bargin for a great can. If you don't plan on shooting in the K configuration go with the 2.0. If your a veteran or military, law enforcement or first responder you can get them cheaper then $499.99 @Quiet Riot Firearms has a lot of them in stock.

20200522_204826.jpg

I didn’t realize the baffles were both 17-4 ... I guess the only difference is octane is a touch lighter Not counting k config on the obsidian and the octane has the o ring that needs servicing. Then there’s the cost of mounts or pistons. If you like the sound ... is it worth the extra cost ? Only you can answer that. You should know by now buy once cry once. Good thing is you’ll have a couple months to find deals on 3lug mounts and pistons while you wait. The obsidian is belt fed rated though just in case. Not much help but I learned something new. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom