• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Observations from recent STRESS Course

Hmm... maybe it didn't upload to ODT, but I had it on my screen and assumed it did.
Anyhow, I agree that things go wrong in serious training sessions (or real life) that you didn't expect from casual practice sessions.

I've had spare magazine holders that dropped my mags on the ground when I ran a short distance to get to cover at one 2-gun match.

I had one rifle with blued steel sights that had a coat of oil on them that I normally shoot under the shade of the roof of the covered firing line at my local outdoor range.
One day I took this rifle to a match where we were shooting fully exposed to the sun, and the glare off the sights was terrible. I didn't have any "sight black" spray or even a candle or matches with me, so I used some brown cardboard and masking tape to make a hood for my front sight. It worked, but my rifle looked ridiculous.

Another match, I left my AR out in the Georgia sun in July for 20 minutes, and it got too hot to touch. One hand was stinging (the other was in a shooting glove) and my face was cooking from the radiated heat off the receiver as I held it to shoot. I wasn't expecting that.

As for the cardio, yeah, that's cost me some points when just a little bit of activity bumps my pulse up to 120. My pulse can move the crosshairs about 1.5" across the face of the target at 100 yards even when my position is steady and I have my natural point of aim.

It's a difficult course to run. I had 4 Instructors (including me) and an additional helper, all just to keep things running smoothly and on time.

In addition, I'm offering carbine and handgun specific courses, as well as the various Sniper/precision rifle courses I do. Running out of time!

I retire from my full-time job in about 6 years and plan on instructing full-time after that. Until then, I'm only offering 1 course a month, usually.

I hear you. Time is something they can never make enough of. I know your schedule can be grueling.

I've lost about 20 pounds since December. Only a few more to go...I will be at the next stress course!

I recently did a target ID and ranging exercise at a class. The closest one was only 70yards away, it was a full size IDPA target wearing old ACUs. I never saw it. even after I was told where it was, I didn't see it until the light changed and almost highlighted it. I was using irons, but I was still shocked.

Sounds like a good drill.

Back
Top Bottom