• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not your Grandpa's Sportster anymore...

I will reserve my judgment since I am purely biased toward the old dinosaur flats to evos and even some twinkies once the cam chain tensioner is switched out. Those all identify as Harley just by the look of the motor.

The new stuff all looks like it could just as well be a Honda or Kawasaki.

That being said, I can't fault Harley for branching out to appeal to a new crowd that otherwise wouldn't give them a look at all.

I just prefer classic....but I'm more than likely in the minority in this day and age.

I will reserve my judgment since I am purely biased toward the old dinosaur flats to evos and even some twinkies once the cam chain tensioner is switched out. Those all identify as Harley just by the look of the motor.

The new stuff all looks like it could just as well be a Honda or Kawasaki.

That being said, I can't fault Harley for branching out to appeal to a new crowd that otherwise wouldn't give them a look at all.

I just prefer classic....but I'm more than likely in the minority in this day and age.

I don't think you are. Harley have struggled, and in the past failed, to break out of their niche and their pricing has always challenged younger riders.

That's not a Harley to me, there are better options for that kind of bike.

I don't think you are. Harley have struggled, and in the past failed, to break out of their niche and their pricing has always challenged younger riders.

That's not a Harley to me, there are better options for that kind of bike.
Completely agree. It's the AMF era history repeating itself. But, we also have a very....uhhh...diverse group of people now. It might work, it might not.

To be fair, I have a love/hate relationship with my Shovels so I can't be too hard on the AMF stuff.

My first ironhead sporty cost less than 2K in 1970
I bought a non-runner '82 for $800 a few years back. Just needed the carb cleaned, some fresh fluids and a battery. Was going to let my wife run it but she lost interest and I didn't have the time or patience to do what I wanted to do to it.....so I traded it for what else.....guns. Because why not?

Yeah, I had a '72 XLH, it ran good, but a 4 speed wasn't gettin' it back then either. Check out the Adventure bike they are pushing, a monstrosity..There are definitely better bikes for the intended purposes. But, maybe the young folks will jump on the new Sporty, you never know.

Back
Top Bottom