• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not a price RANT...

The used market for revolvers has definitely been going up in the last few years, same as the cost for new ones.

Contrary to people thinking that revolvers are simple, they are far more complicated to make, test and support than any polymer gun ever will be.

The cost of new revolvers has been climbing for a while now. With a shrinking market the economy of scale that companies like Smith and Ruger used to see just aren't there any more.

And even with modern manufacturing eliminating hand-fitting, all guns are still assembled by hand, and as anyone whose taken a revolver down to the frame can tell you that's a lot of work.

On a new revolver that translates into higher labor costs, which are per-unit, not shared across an entire production run like a CNC machine would be. Each one gets 'x' hours of labor charged to it no matter what, and labor costs always go up.

On the used side, the increased cost and generally reduced quality of new guns, added to things like the Smith lock-hole make people want the older guns more. There's also a nostalgia for a revolver that was around in its heyday, and that shows the craftsmanship that used to go into some of the better ones.

Revolvers have always had a cool factor, even when they were common. With Millenials and newer owners never dealing (or even seeing) revolvers on a regular basis they are seeing them as collectible, connoisseurs guns, kind of like a previous generation thought about WWII Lugers and 1911s.

So yeah, revolver prices are going up across the board.

I bought my first Ruger "Security 6" on here for $250. The last one I bought (years ago) was almost $450. And that's for a revolver almost no one knows about or appreciates. I bought my first Smith (a nice 686) at a gun show for $550, but it would easily fetch $800 or so today.

On the new side you used to be able to get a GP-100 for around $500 almost anywhere. I haven't seen one for much under $700 in years now. And the price of a new 'retro' 586 is pushing $900 on discount sites.

As the market for new revolvers shrinks, and with the limited number of used ones out there to be collected, I wouldn't expect this trend to reverse any time soon.

I have been "collecting" S&W revolvers for a few years now. I have a few nice pieces, but nothing to brag about. But, the revolvers that I have been paying $500-$750 for are being listed for $900+. I am fully aware that the little nuances and limited runs and performance center guns are rarer and demand a higher price, but some of these appear to be the same revolver that I have.

Have they appreciated that much over the last year or two? Or is it the covid?

I bought the majority of them in the hopes of appreciated value, so I ain't mad about it :pop2:
They like to call it inflation. It is actually overspending, and printing money. They took us off the gold standard. Every dollar printed is worth less and less and dilutes the value of every other dollar in circulation. Just this years 'stimulus package' is 3 trillion.

In 1960 Minimum wage was one dollar. An ounce of gold was $30 bucks. A brand new corvette was $2,000, and the brand new corvair right next to it was $500.

They keep pushing for a minimum wage of $15, gold is 1,929.59 A new Corvette is 60k and the Chevrolet Spark — $14,095.

Your revolver is like real estate, a diamond or a chunk of gold. As long as it remains clean, serviceable and unmolested. It will grow in value just because of the number of dollars they overspend/print.

This is a great time to address free marketing...
Nah, just joking, ain't no good time for that garbage..
Prices are up but only because people are so greedy in getting what someone else has. I'd be careful about what I sell during these times. It's good to keep buying things you want, if you can afford them but, don't sell anything thinking it'll come back down and you can make a few bucks. This round is going to be different I'm afraid and you probably won't get the quality you had even if you sold some at what you thought were money making deals, that ain't. This is a supply and demand issue and the prices will probably never balance back out. Most of the stuff that ain't the glocks and such that everyone assumes will come back around, some of it will be permanently jacked up and some will not be seen again at what we call, decent prices. Buy what you can afford without taking away from your livelihood and consider it the new savings plan. This is your need "gold rush" cause when the corrupt and far left get done, the people with the weapons and ammo are going to be the ones that can "move on" from what we are living through. ..
I really don't believe the price of anything is going to come back down anytime soon if ever. Guns, food, sundries that people need to function are increasingly escalating in price and scarcity. We're just one major event from total economic and social collapse. JMHO

Maybe if you wait long enough the S&W revolvers will appreciate almost as much as the totally factory Glocks have! Hell, if the Glock isn't black, all bets are off, could be listed for $300 above retail!!!! Super-dumb...

Not bad profit for a gun which probably is less than50$ to manufacture.

They've only increased in price due to price gouging sellers asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. If we could post comments in the sellers' ads pointing out how crazy their price was, we'd be able to warn off unsuspecting newb buyers and the prices would come back down. It's only because people don't know what's best for them that prices keep rising. I think I'll send Okuma an email and let him know about this price fixing going on by these flippers.

Just thought I'd give the Price Militant a break here since it's a holiday.

Im worried about @palmettomoon! Sick, Covid, somebody check him quick before it spreads. Might just be the JD, it is a holiday (even though some of us have to work!).

So when are my collection of Hi-Points gonna go up consistent with the Gucci Glocks? My Hi-Points are Gucci. I’ve been painting the triggers and guards with my wife’s collection of neon finger nail polish.

Maybe if you wait long enough the S&W revolvers will appreciate almost as much as the totally factory Glocks have! Hell, if the Glock isn't black, all bets are off, could be listed for $300 above retail!!!! Super-dumb...

LOL... Try finding a Gen 1 with the correct box and let me know what you pay for it...

Those early 'plastic' guns have already started appreciating and more will follow. I have a Gen 3 with GA DNR markings that folks have asked to buy for a hundred or so over typical pricing several times.

Back
Top Bottom