• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

North Carolina Gun Laws?

I don't know a thing about North Carolina gun laws, but I might have to research it because a good friend of mine just got back from a backpacking and camping trip in the great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, and he wants to know about the legality of carrying a gun on the trail next time.
I don’t care what there local laws are. Iv always carried on the trail and I will always carry on the trail. Im not going to fight a bear are other wild animal out there with my good looks haha.

didn’t Rabbit2047 Rabbit2047 live there for a bit? He may have some real world advice.

The biggest difference I recall seeing before we traveled there last year is that if approached by an officer whilst carrying you must inform them you are carrying.

Signs are not to be ignored. There is no standard for what constitutes a sign, size, or visibility. Be careful.

You MUST notify any LEO at the beginning of the interaction that you are carrying.

I don't know a thing about North Carolina gun laws, but I might have to research it because a good friend of mine just got back from a backpacking and camping trip in the great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, and he wants to know about the legality of carrying a gun on the trail next time.

Signs are not to be ignored. There is no standard for what constitutes a sign, size, or visibility. Be careful.

You MUST notify any LEO at the beginning of the interaction that you are carrying.

i worked in Charlotte a couple of years recently,

As noted, open carry is legal without a license. A few years ago, the North Carolina Supreme Court came down with a strong decision that open carry was legal for all, and did not constitute any kind of probable cause for a search or other police action.

Signs by property owners are absolutely enforceable. Problem for you is that there is absolutely no law on size of type, placement of sign, size of sign and so on.

Downtown Charlotte is dominated by large office buildings mostly banks. They typically would print out a no firearms notice on a clear decal, and post near one of the many doors. That's legally sufficient. One building in particular is on a major corner, and only had it's sign floating in mid-air on one door on one side of the building. Coming in from the other street, you would never see the sign. It's up to you to stop and read the 15 notices posted around the door to see if there is one about firearms.

Charlotte is more liberal than Atlanta if that is possible, but "no guns" is not universal, and certainly not universal out in the boonies.

I was working in an office building where my employer was renting offices. Apparently the building owner can still post an enforceable sign, even if you are the NRA, because you have to use common areas to access the private areas.

I think N.C. is a "must announce" state if you are stopped in an automobile. I was never stopped, and always had my gun where I could maintain a plausible denyiability about knowing where it was.

Back
Top Bottom