• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No job = makeshift sling. Watcha think?!

BenKenobi2

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
103   1
Reaction score
I have been bored out of my mind at my sisters. Lately I have been trying to use my time to learn survival material that I admittedly put on the back burner most of my life. Money is getting tight and I also have to worry about my family's finances. I have done as much prepping as I can. Both situations force me to take shortcuts and improvise. *gulps*

I got this 10/22 about a week ago. Shoots nice suppressed. I have had many other 10/22s before this one but I like this one in particular because it has that cheap all weather stock and stainless action, yes I know, in extreme cases it will still rust but its better than anything blued. I chose this rifle to be one of my go-tos if SHTF because its lightweight, quiet, and versatile when it comes to shooting applications.

Today I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the stock towards the thicker end of the stock. I have a lot of paracord and decided I was going to make a sling instead of buy one, along with the swivels.

This project was fun, I learned to do a taut line and a double hitch knot. It has been holding up on my shoulder well. The knots seem pretty strong especially when there is pressure on them. I can adjust the length of the "sling" in case I need to use it to "brace" my rifle for a more accurate shot when I don't have a rest or support and I can carry it somewhat comfortably around my back. I'm sure I'll figure out a better sling alternative but right now this makes a nice makeshift sling if I ever need it tomorrow.

Yes I know, one strand of paracord against my shoulder is gonna get tiring quick but again this is just temporary. :D Whatcha think?!

sling2.jpg
sling1.jpg

I thought about that too. I might have to dig in my misc. parts box and see if I have a spare swivel somewhere. Thank you for pointing that out. I will keep that in mind when I need to place an accurate shot so I won't put so much strain on the barrel. GLO!

gle2 said:
.......Money is getting tight and I also have to worry about my family's finances...... I got this 10/22 about a week ago.....I like this one
in particular because it has that cheap all weather stock and stainless action.
Yes I know in extreme cases it will still rust but its better than anything blued.
I chose this rifle to be one of my go-tos if SHTF because its lightweight, quiet,
and versatile when it comes to shooting applications.
Today I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the stock. I have a lot of paracord and decided
I was going to make a sling instead of buy one, along with the swivels....
Whatcha think?
Mr. Booshie said:
I would find a way to attach it to the stock. Having it
on the barrel like that will change the POI depending on the tension you put
on the sling.
Well, second one first I reckon. Paracord front attachment may fit between barrel
ring and barrel. Slide ring off stock, loop cord around barrel at ring location OR
inside ring itself, reinstall ring.

As for OP, few things don't seem to add up. 10/22 shown appears to be take-down
synthetic and stainless model which runs $375-400 w/o cost of suppressor. Base
carbine synthetic closer to $200.
If I was out of work and watching family finances I'd have hard time justifying
upgrade to the more expensive 10/22 models. Don't know about synth version
but wood stock base carbine has removable butt plate. Think I'd drill a hole in
that, make a big knot on one end of paracord, run other end thru the butt plate
and up to the barrel ring. Perhaps synthetic stock doesn't offer that option. Maybe
a D-ring will fit new holes in stock then attach cord to D-ring until leather sling
needs the D-ring.
If/when you need to sell it on ODT for food or pay electric bill remember that a
hole in the stock makes it a 'custom'. Definitely looks like a fun & worthy project
while battling the quarantined blues.

Back
Top Bottom