• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NJ gun laws?

Hurricaneshand

Default rank <1000 posts
Has a Trading Problem
45   0
Reaction score
Is there anyone familiar with NJ gun laws? My mom lives up there and would like to get one, possibly even while down here if possible. I assume she would have to get it shipped to an FFL up there, but I am unsure of what the laws are like up there and do they do a roster similar to CA? I would probably like to set her up with something like a Smith EZ model or a Beretta APX even though I think the slide on that may be a little bit difficult to work because it's a bit heavy (at least my old one was). Any insight would be appreciated!

It would be much less trouble to move. She has to start with a visit with her local police chief to explain why she needs a gun and, if he or she's convinced, she/he will explain the submission, review and approval process to obtain a permit to purchase.
JFC. Sounds like it's gonna be a PITA. Even with her knowing the sheriff and such it might be a tall order

Is there anyone familiar with NJ gun laws? My mom lives up there and would like to get one, possibly even while down here if possible. I assume she would have to get it shipped to an FFL up there, but I am unsure of what the laws are like up there and do they do a roster similar to CA? I would probably like to set her up with something like a Smith EZ model or a Beretta APX even though I think the slide on that may be a little bit difficult to work because it's a bit heavy (at least my old one was). Any insight would be appreciated!
Must go to local PD to obtain information to acquire a permit. That needs to be filled out and submitted. She needs to wait until they approve it which sometimes takes months depending on municipality. Once received she can purchase a firearm with no more than 10 round mag. Purchase permit is only given for (1) handgun, and will expire if not used within the allotted time. Any further pistol wanting to be purchased requires another pistol permit, this is not the case for rifles. Only 1 pistol a month can be purchased.

When (and if) she gets one, she is not permitted to detour whatsoever from the point at which she picks it up, to her home. If she stops at a grocery store, to pump gas, to say hi to a relative, and happens to get pulled over or in an incident to which the police respond, she is going to jail.

I grew up in NJ, and much of my family still chooses to live in that hellhole despite knowing life is better elsewhere. My sister wanted a pistol for home protection, and it took her over a year of jumping through hoops to get it, and a local LEO met her at the gun store and explained the above rules, atop many others, to her. He then followed her home, either for her safety (yeah right) or to assure she wasn't breaking those laws.

NJ is as close to a communist state as we've got in the US. Previous post said it was easier to move, I cannot agree more.

I knew it was bad but good lord. Yeah she will probably be moving either down here or to SC in a few years I guess I'll just tell her to get a really good taser or something in the meantime. Or a big old German Shepard

Back
Top Bottom