• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Night vision

Get_Training Get_Training I am fortunate enough to be able to run the best NV that money can buy, and also the best NV that money can't buy, so sometimes I am a bit out of touch on some of mid-grade/low-grade NV and thermal. A lot of times when people ask about NV, they are asking about night capability in general to include thermal as well. Best place to start is to tell me your use case and what you are trying to accomplish. Optically, there is some good stuff out there that's not outlandish but keep in mind while higher price often does reflect a significant increase in optical quality, it almost always reflects a huge increase in ruggedness and durability.

I appreciate the replies so far guys, thank you. So here’s what I’m wanting to do.
I would like to have a helmet, with a monocular mounted to it. I’ll eventually get an IR light/ laser for my AR. I figured I’d spend 4-5K for all of that, but might have to accept reality that it could cost more. I want a good monocular but I don’t see myself needing an $8,000 one haha. I hate to be that guy but what is “good for the money” say around 4K?

Get_Training Get_Training I am fortunate enough to be able to run the best NV that money can buy, and also the best NV that money can't buy, so sometimes I am a bit out of touch on some of mid-grade/low-grade NV and thermal. A lot of times when people ask about NV, they are asking about night capability in general to include thermal as well. Best place to start is to tell me your use case and what you are trying to accomplish. Optically, there is some good stuff out there that's not outlandish but keep in mind while higher price often does reflect a significant increase in optical quality, it almost always reflects a huge increase in ruggedness and durability.

Just because I’m curious, do you mind my asking how it is you get to run such good kit? I’m wanting rugged but I can’t afford to sell a kidney honestly ha. I’m really wanting for “tactical shooting” and I won’t be utilizing it outside of 75ish yards I’d say.

I appreciate the replies so far guys, thank you. So here’s what I’m wanting to do.
I would like to have a helmet, with a monocular mounted to it. I’ll eventually get an IR light/ laser for my AR. I figured I’d spend 4-5K for all of that, but might have to accept reality that it could cost more. I want a good monocular but I don’t see myself needing an $8,000 one haha. I hate to be that guy but what is “good for the money” say around 4K?
You should be able to squeeze that into 5k. Get you an unfilmed White Phosphor Gen 3 PVS-14 w/ L3 tubes, if you look around for about $3,500, Team Wendy or similar bump helmet for $300, and choices on lasers for civilians are the tough part. ATPIAL-C is good for most anything you will need it for if you are just working a helmet-mounted mono and also of course has the cool "clone" factor. The MAWL-C is a step up in civilian cloak, but much more expensive. If you find a way to obtain a restricted version, I would go back to the ATPIAL instead of the MAWL.

With a monocular budget of 4K you can have literally any one you want. Usually people looking for a single are in the “I want to spend 1500-2000” camp. Good on you. A GOOD one will cost you 2800ish, a GREAT one will be 3200-3500.

Get top of the line white light like Mod-Light then sit back and wait for digital to change the game.
Its not a terrible idea. When not working, I mostly use my NV and thermal for hunting purposes. NV is a capability that is great on the offense, but makes little sense to me on the defensive side. If something goes bump in the night, I can assure you I wont be fumbling with a helmet, I will go white light and get the job done as fast as possible. Now, if the entire world went to crap, and I had to go out and take whats not mine to begin with in order to keep my family alive, I guess that's a different story.

Just because I’m curious, do you mind my asking how it is you get to run such good kit? I’m wanting rugged but I can’t afford to sell a kidney honestly ha. I’m really wanting for “tactical shooting” and I won’t be utilizing it outside of 75ish yards I’d say.
My "pays the bills" job involves selling the stuff to people much more important than myself.

Its not a terrible idea. When not working, I mostly use my NV and thermal for hunting purposes. NV is a capability that is great on the offense, but makes little sense to me on the defensive side. If something goes bump in the night, I can assure you I wont be fumbling with a helmet, I will go white light and get the job done as fast as possible. Now, if the entire world went to crap, and I had to go out and take whats not mine to begin with in order to keep my family alive, I guess that's a different story.

Nods. Helmet. 300 blk suppressed, IR Laser. All very cool offensive mid- range stuff

Lots of cash.

Back
Top Bottom