• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Night vision

Get_Training

Default rank <1000 posts
Memento Mori
97   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’m looking to get into some night vision. Anywhere in Georgia you can go that has some knowledgeable guys? I’ve been to several gun shops, and haven’t ever found anyone in person that can really help.

@Burdy is the man.

From experience, the one thing I'll say is to spend money or don't bother. It's not a game to play on a tight budget
I’ll second that. If you don’t have minimum of $4500 to spend, don’t bother, this isn’t the area that “just as good” applies.

I disagree with the $4500 price point.

I use a Gen 3 PVS-14 and a gen 1 rifle scope to good effect on yotes and pigs. The PVS was over $2500 and the Yukon sight was $475. I also scout with a FLIR thermal.

That said, will the more expensive set work better? Most likely.......

I've tried cheaping out on NV just to get into the game. Tried multiple times. It never panned out. Gen1 and those digital budget scopes are trashola. OK if shooting short distances in an open field with full moon, but that's under the best conditions and at short ranges. Get into woods? Trash. Trying to see something in the brushline? Trash. Even under good conditions, I couldn't differentiate what you were shooting all that well. Small doe? coyote? dog? I dunno, pull the trigger and we'll find out.

It’s safe to assume with his user name that it will preferred to be head mounted. In that case a LAM will be in the list of needs, helmet, mount, arm, counterweight, training and a IR capable sight and illumination.

It adds up quickly, and quality is not something you want to skimp on when you have $2-$3000 piece of equipment hanging off your head.

Mount: 300-500
Arm/shoe: 100-200
Helmet: 250-1300 depending on the “needs”
PVS14: 2000-3500
LAM: 400-2200 depending on the need
IR Illumination: 300-400
IR sight: 400-1000
Counterweight: 50-100

And then tax and shipping for all of that crap.

It’s safe to assume with his user name that it will preferred to be head mounted. In that case a LAM will be in the list of needs, helmet, mount, arm, counterweight, training and a IR capable sight and illumination.

It adds up quickly, and quality is not something you want to skimp on when you have $2-$3000 piece of equipment hanging off your head.

Mount: 300-500
Arm/shoe: 100-200
Helmet: 250-1300 depending on the “needs”
PVS14: 2000-3500
LAM: 400-2200 depending on the need
IR Illumination: 300-400
IR sight: 400-1000
Counterweight: 50-100

And then tax and shipping for all of that crap.

Pretty much spot on. Then you upgrade to dual tube WP and totally blow your wad. Worth it though if you can afford it. I've logged many of night hikes with those suckers.

I got a $350 night owl night vision scope from Amazon... it is great for like 75 yards but other than that it’s useless... I got mine to see if I liked the idea of hunting at night... I do and now I have to spend loads of money on a better option haha.

Back
Top Bottom