• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie w/ a few questions...

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
I recently received the Workshop Ken Onion sharpener, thing is pretty slick. I've been doing some practicing on this large Gerber "Bear Griles (spelling)" hunting style knife. I actually think I did ok. The thing was beat up as it was the kids and had some rust on the serrations, just marked up in general.

Prior to sharpening, I sprayed some WD-40 on the blade and between a tooth brush and some picks I got most of the rust and gunk off it and it sharpened up decently (not shave paper sharp however).

What do you use to oil or clean up your blades? Was I an idiot to use WD-40? This wasn't a blade I cared about necessarily so was just tinkering around.

Also, can you actually sharpen things like Swiss army knives, etc. effectively?

Lastly...anyone know anything about this knife?

0YDCNhKiSjWaw%RGw6Ptbw.jpg

Says, "Griffin Design" and "SCHF9" on the other side of the blade...thing is heavy as hell.

I use WD-40 on my blades after I clean them or just sharpen them.
I don't expect it to last long but if I'm gonna be using beI clean them or just sharpen them I don't expect it to last long but if I'm going to be using the blade within a month or two it can sit around with that light coat of WD-40 on it and it's fine.

Ditto for when I've been handling the blade of a carbon steel knife with my sweaty, or just dirty, hands. I try to wipe it down with a shot of WD-40 and a quick wipe with a paper towel before I put it away.
But, keep in mind that I've never owned a knife that I paid more than $40 for!

I use WD-40 on my blades after I clean them or just sharpen them.
I don't expect it to last long but if I'm gonna be using beI clean them or just sharpen them I don't expect it to last long but if I'm going to be using the blade within a month or two it can sit around with that light coat of WD-40 on it and it's fine.

Ditto for when I've been handling the blade of a carbon steel knife with my sweaty, or just dirty, hands. I try to wipe it down with a shot of WD-40 and a quick wipe with a paper towel before I put it away.
But, keep in mind that I've never owned a knife that I paid more than $40 for!

Well, I don't think I have a knife over $50 in my "round up random knives from over the years" search I did around the house recently lol

Back
Top Bottom