• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to town

MedMan

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
4   0
Reaction score
Hello All!

I just moved here (Buford) from Florida a couple of months ago. My wife and I bought our first house, and now we are both in school. I attend medical school at PCOM GA and my wife is in NP school at Mercer whilst working full time as a nurse (she's a keeper). My folks back home are avid fisherman, but sadly nobody taught me anything about hunting or firearms (besides boy scouts). Now that I have a home and a family of my own to protect, I came to this site to find the tools necessary for the job. Hopefully, my story gives you all some faith that not all of us in our 20s are useless. I’ve got a lot to learn and a lot of time left to do it so feel free to drop some words of wisdom, advice, or outdoors/ hunting knowledge here!

Attachments

• sword2.JPG
    sword2.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 126
Hello All!

I just moved here (Buford) from Florida a couple of months ago. My wife and I bought our first house, and now we are both in school. I attend medical school at PCOM GA and my wife is in NP school at Mercer whilst working full time as a nurse (she's a keeper). My folks back home are avid fisherman, but sadly nobody taught me anything about hunting or firearms (besides boy scouts). Now that I have a home and a family of my own to protect, I came to this site to find the tools necessary for the job. Hopefully, my story gives you all some faith that not all of us in our 20s are useless. I’ve got a lot to learn and a lot of time left to do it so feel free to drop some words of wisdom, advice, or outdoors/ hunting knowledge here!

Welcome! With med school I'm sure your hunting time will be limited but a little time here and there to learn the ropes is always possible. If you are new to firearms I would suggest getting some training. Local ranges are great for pistol classes and for some rifle marksmanship I would suggest attending an Appleseed event one weekend. Very inexpensive and you will learn a lot of the fundamentals. A 10/22 is a great rifle with inexpensive ammo as a training platform and can be had quite cheaply. Not a self defense or bigger game round but small game hunting is a ton of fun and will help you learn your way in the woods quite well. Also my recommendation for an Appleseed event.

If considering home defense the AR15 is extremely user friendly and a ton of fun to shoot as well. Look for a local range with USArms events and you will have a great time and find some great folks only too happy to share their knowledge with you.

To learn how to use a pistol, after an initial safety training session at a local range, I would recommend finding a range that hosts IDPA events. Probably the same range that also has USArms events and I think you will really enjoy it while learning a lot.

For hunting I would recommend getting a cheap but decent bolt action rifle in either .270, .308 or 30 06. Capable of taking any game you will likely hunt in the southeast. My personal recommendation would be a savage axis II in any of the above calibers. Asking the what rifle question will likely get you a ton of different suggestions as everyone has their own opinion and preferences. That's just my suggestion.

If you are going to bird hunt that's a whole other ball of wax. I'll probably let someone else field that with specifics but hard to go wrong with a 12 guage shotgun for that. From turkey to dove that will have you covered.

Welcome again and I hope you have a ton of fun learning to hunt and shoot. It's a passion that never tires for so many of us here.

Back
Top Bottom