• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading

kc30121

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
76   1
Reaction score
Ok so I’m wanting to get into reloading. Mainly 223 and maybe 7mag since that’s what I shoot long distance with. Mainly will be 223 to start but I have absolutely no idea what I need or where to begin. Other then just “google” searches is there any other good info out there. What do I need??? Not looking to go crazy but I have a new ruger precision rifle in 223 that I want to see what I can do with it.
HELP!!

Reloading is abit like buying a computer in that you need to determine what you are going to do.
100 rounds a year or 1000 rounds a month --
for a 100 a lee hand press and dies may do
for a 1000 you probably want a dillon --
both make good amm, dillon just faster -- and much more costly -
there are plenty of options in between those two --

Find someone in your area who reloads, inquire as to where they would allow you to observe and also reload some too. Look to see what they are using, make notes of their routine, what the do first, their second step, 3rd step and then the following steps. Make notes of what equipment they use. We have used a lot of equipment, buy the best cry one time and be done, however before buy anything try to see several reloaders set-ups, with different brands of equipment, Lee, RCBS*, DILLON**, Reading is great and it does help, however getting your hands on a press and doing it yourself is more helpful than watching videos, or reading those are good resources to use, like buying a car until you test drive you never know how it handles or performs.

You will need to know just where you will be setting up your reloading area, and double the space you will need it in the future... Because you will start, buying brass, primers, powder, gun tools, wrenches, slip joint pliers, stuck case removers (it will happen and it is a pain if you do not have this tool), dies, reloading trays, glad bags to put cleaned brass into, spare parts, primer deprimer pins, spare expander ball for the different calibers you use, 223, 30 calibers, there is more than just getting a press and dies and jumping into reloading it is more expensive than having a mistress. So if you are going to only shoot, 100-200 rounds a month or two, forget it is a long time or even never before reloading is saving you money!!!

Yes, we have used a lot of equipment and we are a hard dyed "BLUE DILLON USER", buy it once cry once, and now done and over with, buying the Rolls Royce of Reloading, the professional trimmer that is great is the GIRAUD TRIMMER, not the hand drill type, they trim the brass, knurls the inside and outside of the brass and contain the brass shavings for ease of cleanup after using.

Tumblers are another consideration, you can use oil dry, and put turtle wax into the oil dry the brass will clean up more shinny than new brass, if the brass is very dirty put some turtle wax rubbing compound in also and you may have to wipe the brass off to remove any micro dust or residue on the brass we are not hyped up on wet tumblers just our preference, loss of time because awaiting the brass drying time you can put it into the oven however that does put more extreme expansion and contraction on the brass itself.

Your mission now is whether you will, or can devote time to this time consuming obsession, passion and it truly is a life long obsession not just a whim to consider. Now you have to decide whether or not you are willing to make this commitment or not.

There are so many more things to consider before jumping into this new found hobby.

So now it all boils down to your final decision...

Good luck with your new found quest on making the best ammo or just buy ammo off the shelves at gun stores???

just a suggestion to strongly consider before jumping off the cliff of continuing investment in reloading...

To start keep it simple, use a c press or a Lee turret press with the center post removed to keep it from revolving.

You'll need dies to perform all the necessary steps along the way.
At minimum a good digital caliper, a good digital scale, a bullet puller, case trimmer, tumbler with media, a couple of trays, and of course components such as powder, primers, projectiles.

Take your time, go slow, get it right

If you think you will save money by reloading, forget it, you won't.

You will, however, expand your capabilities.

If you already shoot to the accuracy capabilities of your guns, reloading might allow even better performance. If you aren't there yet with your shooting, spend more time at the range. You need to be at a point where you can tell if it is the gun or the ammo that needs improvement to tighten your groups.

Take a look at the Lee Classic Loader. For a minimal amount of $$$ you can get set up and see if you really want to do this. These are designed only for reloading cases fired in the rifle you're going to keep shooting them in. They aren't for ARs or other semi-autos.

I also agree with the ABCs of Reloading as a great place to start.

Video:

Back
Top Bottom