• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Me: Model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield

NonStampCollector

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
42   0
Reaction score
Got this at an auction last week, just picked it up. Bore looks like it was made yesterday and the rifle itself is in almost that same condition. I found an ammo site for it that sells trapdoor-safe .45-70 at a reasonable price, so hopefully I'll get to shoot it soon.

If anyone knows how to get the cleaning rod to come out, let me know :D

This particular one was made in 1884 and appears to have some of the 1884 modifications, such as a serrated trigger.

IMG_20191224_144251.jpg
IMG_20191224_144207.jpg
IMG_20191224_144157.jpg
IMG_20191224_144129.jpg

So, a question, for those who know more than I do...my striker/cocker appears to be slightly to the left of the breech block, as can be seen in the last picture. From some other pictures online that I can see, this shouldn't necessarily be the case, but it can be difficult to tell. Would that cause any issues during operation?

Thanks, Palmetto. I was able to find some "safe for trapdoor" loads from Defender Ammo for fairly cheap--$70 for 60 rounds, shipped to my door. I would have ordered more, but it looks like I got the last 3 they had, so I'll probably check back with them every few weeks or so.

I gave it a test dry fire and it seems like it should function just fine without peening the side of the pin housing. We'll see when I take it to the range. It's otherwise in spectacular condition--no joke, the bore looks like it may have been fired less than 100 times, if that.

Shouldn't be an issue if it's not peening the right side of your pin housing.

Any "Cowboy" load should be fine. I use 17-19 grains of Unique with a 405 gr RCBS lead bullets to good effect at 1-200 yards.
Just curious if an 1880's era trapdoor should stick to blackpowder loads? When were these proofed for smokeless?

Anyway, nice score OP! I'm jealous as hell!

Just curious if an 1880's era trapdoor should stick to blackpowder loads? When were these proofed for smokeless?

Anyway, nice score OP! I'm jealous as hell!
Never in my experience. You can use smokeless powders but you must keep the pressures consistent with black powder pressures. Velocity should not exceed around 1,300 fps in my opinion. I shoot for 1,170 fps or so at my altitude.

Never in my experience. You can use smokeless powders but you must keep the pressures consistent with black powder pressures. Velocity should not exceed around 1,300 fps in my opinion. I shoot for 1,170 fps or so at my altitude.
OK That makes sense. Unique seems to be a good choice. Ever tried TrailBoss?? I bet that would be a good choice as well.

Back
Top Bottom