• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to cans - looking for verification

Astolt12

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
18   1
Reaction score
As the title says I’m new to cans but just recently decided to pick up a Deadair Sandman S as well as a Deadair wolfman. Figured no time better than now.

bought the sandman to shoot 556/308 which seems pretty straight forward. Get Deadairs keymount adapter with the same thread pitch as your rifle, torque and then put a can on. I figured I’d pick up alignment rods to be sure as I am worried about baffle strikes/installing it incorrectly - hence why I’m here.

the wolfman on the other hand has me confused. I bought it to put on 9mm and eventually a 300BLK, but after looking around I’ll need a few parts to successfully run it on a pistol. It seems a keymicro adapter and a micro brake to successfully run it on a 9mm

to then run that on a 300blk I would just need a micro brake due to the length of the can?

Any insight is appreciated as I wait for the ATF.

You know the sandman is a .30 cal can and the 300 blk is a .30 cal bullet right?

To run the Wolfman on a pistol you need a booster and piston. To run it on a rifle you need a fixed spacer for the booster or a fixed mount like the key micro. If you want to be continually swapping the back housing on the can then by all means but the easiest and cost effective route is to put a keymo brake or FH on the 300 blk and run the sandman.

You know the sandman is a .30 cal can and the 300 blk is a .30 cal bullet right?.

correct, and yes I do know the 300blk is a .30 bullet. I bought the Wolfman more so for 9mm pistols and the sandman for my 30 cal rifles. While I don’t own a 300blk currently I can reload subs and thought hell that’s a great excuse to buy another gun.

The confusing part for me was making it run on a pistol. The Deadair site has a document showing what’s needed to run the Wolfman but I think that’s more for rifles that shoot 9mm.

The booster is the part I didn’t understand, and still am trying to make sense of.

correct, and yes I do know the 300blk is a .30 bullet. I bought the Wolfman more so for 9mm pistols and the sandman for my 30 cal rifles. While I don’t own a 300blk currently I can reload subs and thought hell that’s a great excuse to buy another gun.

The confusing part for me was making it run on a pistol. The Deadair site has a document showing what’s needed to run the Wolfman but I think that’s more for rifles that shoot 9mm.

The booster is the part I didn’t understand, and still am trying to make sense of.

The booster is a housing, spring and piston. Its required to get a browning style locked breech pistol to operate reliably. IE most pistols. The spring isn't needed on something that has a fixed barrel.

So your options are get a fixed spacer that replaces the spring in the booster assembly. Get a direct thread and replace the booster in its entirety or get the key micro which also replaces the booster. Any of these will run your 300blk setup but not your pistol.

What twitch said. A fixed barrel does not need the spring to absorb the mass of the can when breech unlocks. The spring must be present on a pistol with a tilting barrel to function reliably. To run the wolfman on both with the keymicro mount, you'll be swapping parts everytime you swap platforms. At that point I'd leave it direct thread, one less part to swap. To run the keymicro on a rifle then switch to pistol you need to remove adapter, piston, fixed barrel spacer then install the pistol piston, booster and spring.

Much much easier just to run the sandman s on the 300. Plus if your hand loads get a little hot or you come up with some factory ammo that is supposed to be subsonic and isnt, you wont blow your can apart.

Gents,

much appreciated.

If I understand correctly the booster essentially replaces a component on the back end of the can that would otherwise be a direct thread from Deadair. A direct thread mounting style is more used for fixed barrel/connecting to a key micro micro brake. In turn I’ll need to pick up a few parts that seem to be hard to get in order to suppress my pistol.

Still digesting this all...but I greatly appreciate the insight. Going to try to find some videos to compliment this information as I am a bit of a visual guy when it comes to this kinda stuff.

thank you again

Gents,

much appreciated.

If I understand correctly the booster essentially replaces a component on the back end of the can that would otherwise be a direct thread from Deadair. A direct thread mounting style is more used for fixed barrel/connecting to a key micro micro brake. In turn I’ll need to pick up a few parts that seem to be hard to get in order to suppress my pistol.

Still digesting this all...but I greatly appreciate the insight. Going to try to find some videos to compliment this information as I am a bit of a visual guy when it comes to this kinda stuff.

thank you again

When I get home I can take some pics on a different flavor can that can show you more or less what's happening.

Gents,

much appreciated.

thank you again
Yes, its the back end mounting of the can. Depending on the can it can be a pain in the butt to swap it out. Especially if you want to shoot your 300blk and 9mm in the same session. Your best move is building your 300blk with a keymo on the end and run the sandman. Get a booster assembly with whatever pistons you need on the wolfman.

Dead air absolutely r***s you on attachments...make sure you look at prices.

Second, while you "can" run a wolfman on a pistol, its so heavy and big I guarantee you wont really want to. That $250 on adapter and piston would be better spent on a dedicated 9mm pistol can like an obsidian 9 or mod9.

Back
Top Bottom