• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEW sights? Or just re-build them

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I just started this but thought to post some interesting tidbits of web homework. I decided to refresh the sights on Ruger Redhawk that was in poor shape. The sights had pitting and the blue was mostly gone. The sights are solid steel with a plastic insert that you just can't cut plastic stock and file/fit it in the blade. For front sights like S&W with plastic inserts you can pick up a kit from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-insert-kits/sight-insert-kit-prod397.aspx

The Redhawk front has a metal loop preventing fitting an insert.

i46.tinypic.com_54nzl.jpg

The rear blade is pitted, raw and the white outline long missing.

i47.tinypic.com_314v2h3.jpg

The rear sight was a bit sloppy and the springs were a bit compressed. The right spring has been stretched a bit and in comparison on the left is the compressed spring.

i47.tinypic.com_1hauza.jpg

So what to do with that nasty front blade? I read someone took regular plastic epoxy and filled their front sight in.... Hum easy enough to try as I have some Locktite plastic (7 min.) epoxy on the shelf. The fellow colored it with paint. Well a trip to Wally World and for a buck 77/each I had both red and yellow testors model paint.

The brew! Just take note I had to re-do this as I got way too much paint in the epoxy and it was too soft. Just enough to color the epoxy is all that is required.

i45.tinypic.com_2hp2e68.jpg

I cut the first one with a razor but it was too soft for use, so I re-did it and I used a small file to fit it correctly.

i47.tinypic.com_2ic1qgh.jpg

I use cold blue all the time for sights, while it's not as durable, it is but a Q-tip away from being new again. For sights I use a plastic bag and dump the parts/screws in it for a minute or two. They look good!

Before

i47.tinypic.com_2vb5vyw.jpg

During

i48.tinypic.com_mkgj5w.jpg

Still need to stretch that left rear sight spring. A screw driver tip serves me well with a flat surface. Care as one slip and it will make a run for it. You can use do this inside a plastic bag if you are worried about a loose spring.

i48.tinypic.com_34qsnsw.jpg

Last edited:
Now let's get these streched springs hard as heck (care as they will be brittle until tempered). Be aware this is kind of an art that I stumbled through. I have done a few springs but this Redhawk I was 4/7 good to go. The sight springs did fine though.

Red Neck Spring hardener

i50.tinypic.com_uqvrb.jpg

Fire, fire, fire, fire... heh, heh, heh

i49.tinypic.com_313pvut.jpg

While still glowing orange drop it in water to rapidly cool it. This will make it very hard but very brittle. Be very gentle or the spring will fracture if pulled/compressed.

i46.tinypic.com_2974pl.jpg

Now to get to tempering, Granny and Mom always said I had a bad temper!

If I had kerosene I'd use it but I don't so a flash bang back to my poop burning days I used a mix of oil and gas to slow the flame/heat. I used what ever I had left from an oil change.

i50.tinypic.com_snf052.jpg

This is too much fluid I think and probably why some of the springs didn't become springs. Just a bit should be fine.

i49.tinypic.com_2wmkym1.jpg

Fire, fire, fire, fire.. heheheheh!

i47.tinypic.com_d4t4k.jpg

There will be a bit of tar to clean off with carb cleaner but once tempered the springs should be good. Howeevr this is the first time I had a failure and I have done several batches of springs. I think I had too much fluid and the excess time/heat took the hardness away. So don't over temper/heat your springs. If you do bone this one up what did you lose? Now I have to buy 3 springs instead of 7 springs. Before I would have needed to buy 7 springs.

Thanks to Soviet many times for his color fill sticky. I have used his method many times for magazines and sights. I currently use white appliance touch up paint as it comes with a brush and is durable. I use acetone instead of Hoppes as it works faster to wipe the excess paint off. It does great for sights. Looky here at the finished rear sight.

i46.tinypic.com_143ncap.jpg

The finished front.

i49.tinypic.com_35mib69.jpg

So for old tired sights, do you need a new set or just fix up what you have? The epoxy and paint is pretty neat and flexible as you can change color if you decide without a big fuss or coin, hope someone finds this as useful as I did.

Last edited:
Knew a silversmith a long time ago who used silver with a tiny piece of turquoise for a front insert and gold in the rear. Your's is much more practical.

Knew a silversmith a long time ago who used silver with a tiny piece of turquoise for a front insert and gold in the rear. Your's is much more practical.

That gives me an idea? Anyone got a spare gold tooth just collecting dust? I think I can put it to good use. :)

Back
Top Bottom